Any help/thoughts on religious folk art(?) primitive(?) painting I found at thrift store today?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 1, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift early this morning; it was the only thing I found today but it's so different it was worth it!
    It looks like a religious scene - like they are lining up to give gifts to a angel floating over a cross?
    It has some writing in Spanish (I think) at the bottom - can anyone tell what it says?
    I think it looks primitive/folk art but there is a 198 (something) date at the very end, so I'm not sure if primitive qualifies (they wouldn't put a date?)
    Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated!

ART PAINTING RELIGOUS FOLK ART PRIMITIVE PAINTING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING RELIGOUS FOLK ART PRIMITIVE PAINTING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING RELIGOUS FOLK ART PRIMITIVE PAINTING 5AA.JPG ART PAINTING RELIGOUS FOLK ART PRIMITIVE PAINTING 5A_AAA.JPG

Born2it likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

A close up of half - my damn photo program acting up again & won't let me reduce size of front half of painting - I'm sorry.

ART PAINTING RELIGOUS FOLK ART PRIMITIVE PAINTING 3AA.JPG

Born2it and judy like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm seeing something like 22nd Biennial Congress... at the start of the writing.

Born2it, moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

In 1980 there was a "XXII Congreso Bienal Mundial Del Colegio internacional de Cirujanos" in Mexico which, according to Google, translates as "XXII Biennial World Congress of the International College of Surgeons". What, if anything, that has to do with this image is a mystery to me.

Art painting religous folk art primitive painting 5a_aaa.jpg

Born2it, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well done! The work itself is an amate or bark painting. And it is a religious procession of some kind.

Debora

Born2it, Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Thank you - and I'm wondering what it has to do with painting too - maybe homage to a patient who died while under a conference doctor's care? (Only thing I could think of)

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too sure there's a connection between the subject of the painting and the nature of the congress. It's more than possible that each attendee received a different work and the subjects varied.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Or a souvenir sold outside the hall. I hope the painter charged a surgeon's price.

Potteryplease and Bronwen like this.
  9. journeymagazine

What would you call it - folk art? Primitive?

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suppose folk art applies.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, folk art. Don't forget to add the terms 'amate' and 'bark painting'.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted