Featured Any idea what age this amber necklace is? Query about when "925" started being used!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all! I picked this little necklace up at a thrift store recently. I have had good luck picking up amber as it often seems to overlooked as plastic (I think). I was hoping you could tell me what age it might be? Also, I have read conflicting info with regards to when the 925 or .925 (silver) started to be used (and I'm guessing not consistent from country to country). Is a 925 mark an indication that it's more modern? Chain measures 14", extender appears to be a later addition and not silver. Always learning! Thanks for any info :)
    Image - 2022-08-25T153600.868.jpeg Image - 2022-08-25T153551.786.jpeg Image - 2022-08-25T153606.737.jpeg Image - 2022-08-25T153557.418.jpeg Image - 2022-08-25T153554.575.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen 925 on late 19th stuff here. But, yours looks like Polish reconstituted and coloured amber, and I'd think 80s at the earliest.

3. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

I’m thinking 90’s or later

Elen Beattie likes this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I agree with 80's.

Gus Tuason likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. It is also bonded, small pieces of reconstituted amber stuck together using a tiny amount of resin.

Over the years I've seen a lot of this type amber jewellery from US sellers, so I wonder if it is American, rather than Polish or other European. I would also expect Polish silver to be marked on the back of the focal piece.

6. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, your expertise is much appreciated as always! :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Could even be contemporary. One of my favorite off-price retailers in the US sells jewelry of this style currently.

Elen Beattie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted