Featured Any idea what the stone or stamps are?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by mekanah18, Mar 23, 2020.

1. mekanah18

mekanah18 Active Member

Hi everyone. I’m a novice jewelry collector and found this pendant for sale locally. I’m thinking about purchasing it. They are asking $80 but the seller doesn’t know what the stone is or what the markings are...any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

komokwa, Xristina and judy like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Think the stone looks like Blue John mined in the UK it’s quite a desirable stone, I always pick it up when I see it if it’s not too expensive. I think the price looks ok but check out what’s online. Looks like Sheffield Assay Office, 750 is 18 ct gold, should be a date letter somewhere.

3. Houseful

If it were me I would go and buy it now.

4. mekanah18

mekanah18 Active Member

Thank you Houseful! I’m still on the fence though because the seller just told me the stone has a small chip. Maybe I’ll make an offer.

kyratango and Xristina like this.
  5. Houseful

I would still buy but check out the gold date stamp which should be there to get the year it was made.
    Blue John is only mined in Derbyshire hence it’s not too common and the prices can be high.

kyratango and Xristina like this.
  6. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Blue john doesn't turn up in the USA except by accident. $80 for Blue John in an 18k setting sounds pretty darned fair to me.

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh ya.......buy it !!!!

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  9. Houseful

I was very pleased to find this silver and Blue John pendant at a car boot sale a year or two ago.
    116FA6A2-DA19-4784-83AF-265EB4A37557.jpeg

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And that isn't going anywhere, doubtless. I keep my eyes out for a piece here but they're few and far between.

Houseful likes this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Though thin it’s likely you’ve got over $80 in gold there. Many think it’s poised to go crazy soon. Without the great info you’ve been given already it would probably be worth it to grab. Considering it’s an old, rare stone in a nice setting I would go for it. Offer less for sure and pay the $80 if she says no. Hard to know how big it is but I’m just hazarding a guess that its 2g of gold or more. Could be wrong for sure.

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted