Featured Any idea what these are? Perspex blocks

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Dec 16, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

They arrived with some vintage costume jewellery and not sure what they might be used as.
    Transparent blocks, chink a bit like glass but not heavy enough or quite...err....glassy enough. scratch with a metal skewer but takes some pressure.
    Perspex? Just blocks for the sake of being blocks,or for some purpose? :confused:Thanks for looking :)
    505D217B-9000-41DB-8FC9-6F3E7DCA48CD.jpeg DADDA30F-5629-45F9-ABEF-22EA5A0B4DA4.jpeg 2DF4B103-EC79-4789-8F1B-87D107EFC0D2.jpeg 174EE1D2-65BE-4AC1-BCA4-FBDEDC48EDF2.jpeg

pearlsnblume, Rayo56 and kyratango like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When clean, I have seen such things used in jewellers' display cases. Perspex/Lucite sort of thing.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Used as what?. To balance rings on or similar?

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes. To give a display some dimensionality instead of having everything sitting at the same level. The blocks can create platforms of 3 different heights by themselves, can be used to prop up a bangle, etc.

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yes, called display blocks. Craft stores sell them new and are made from acrylic.
    You should be able to polish yours back to clear. Use a high quality plastic polish. Avoid anything with ammonia in it - it turns lucite cloudy.

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Every day is a learning day!
    Thankyou :)

Bronwen and Fid like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted