Any idea what this chair is?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by LucindaSue, Jan 11, 2021.

1. LucindaSue

LucindaSue New Member

Hi everyone,

I have two chairs that I have inherited from my Mum. They have been in the family for as long as I can remember and have been recovered many times. As far as I know, my Dad probably bought them from a junk shop on the South Coast (UK) in the early 60's. I have been trying to find out a bit more about them but cannot really find anything similar. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks for any input.

LucindaSue DSC02516.JPG DSC02520.JPG DSC02521.JPG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think maybe Edwardian era. Basic shape is Chippendale but the carving and splat do not relate to the style. The feet are just plain and probably preclude this from being older. Could even be newer. Some of the English members here might know better than I do.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bit earlier, probably mid nineteenth, say 1860s ish, Looks mahogany. Part of a nice dining set I'd think.

LucindaSue likes this.
  4. LucindaSue

LucindaSue New Member

They are lovely. When I get a bit braver I am going to have a go at reupholstering them. I know that my Dad did it a few times and the original fabric will probably still be there.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My dad used to do our dining chairs, it's relatively straightfoward. That back is pretty.

LucindaSue likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted