Featured Any idea what this vase is?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Callista, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Callista

Callista New Member

Hello!

Wondered if anyone had an idea of what this vase is or the worth there are 2 of them? Ive done a reverse google image search with zero results. My grandmother believes they are priceless haha and has asked me to do some checks!

Please see photos attached! 44110919_2281581758742663_3261411844606132224_n.jpg 44179891_697036867347182_2579538846668554240_n.jpg

Thanks

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Callista!

Others will be along to help.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

You might search cloisonne vase. The other method for producing a similar look is champleve but I think (without any in depth knowledge) yours is cloisonne. One is made by applying wire outlines and then filling with enamel, the other is made by creating walled depressions and filling with enamel.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Look as though they're bronze, with cloisonne, early 20th and I think Japanese.

UncleChuckTX, Callista, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, Japanese, late 19th-early 20th century. Late Meiji period is another search term. A pair is always good.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

There are millions of cloisonne vases out there, a google image search will turn up too many of the wrong thing.

Many aren't worth much, but the devil is in the details. This looks like a nicer piece and as AJ said, a pair is always good.

You will want to ID that signature to get a proper sense of value.

7. Callista

Callista New Member

Thanks guys, can anyone work out what the handles are? Been looking all day and have found nothing with this particular handle... maybe some sort of bird or double trunk elephant...

aaroncab likes this.
  8. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Can you get a pic of the handles from straight on?

i need help likes this.
  9. Callista

Callista New Member

Excuse the cropping , struggled to get it under 1mb on my phone

Attached Files:

10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Fire breathing dragon or other creature? Just my wild guess.

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I don't think identifying the handle will help you ID this, but fun to look at other pieces. I've seen double trunk elephant-like handles on vases, some old, some new, here is an older one on Etsy. (Not suggesting this is the value of your piece or even similar beyond the double trunk handles, you still have more research to do.)

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/508..._query=japanese bronze urn&ref=sr_gallery-1-7

A much better research tool as noted, will be to ID that signature or mark on the base. Handles can be anything, but ID that mark, and you will narrow your search considerably.

"My grandmother believes they are priceless haha"

You are smart to check here and do your research.

12. Callista

Callista New Member

Thankyou, would there be anywhere inparticular i should look to identify a makers mark/signature? Is there a database or something?

13. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

I cropped it and flipped it around. I think it goes this way?

44179891_697036867347182_2579538846668554240_n (699x636).jpg

To me the handles look like phoenix heads.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  14. Callista

Callista New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted