Any Ideas as to Artist on this watercolor? from New York?

Discussion in 'Art' started by alynnfin, Feb 25, 2022.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I bought this on an online auction and am beginning to think it is a print. Now I have it and am not sure what I have. I think it is a watercolor, I can't see dots, but some of the lithographs you can't see dots either. It measures 22 3/4 inch by 16 inch. The frame is heavy and deep with metal rim CD7F7FBA_1A28_44B5_9566_7FC2449D1B52_1_201_a__1645811123_59328.jpg C17D2123_6952_4A60_9263_260E9D9A0887__1645811200_33752.jpg 339EB724_E68E_49B2_9441_17D55EA76194_1_201_a__1645811237_41001.jpg D14A04F4_30E3_4E35_AA89_9C07F782D364_1_201_a__1645811274_75314.jpg BB049A79_A482_4B87_BC19_E63776ED8B44__1645811317_40828.jpg and different, may it is worth something. I see no signature and hate to take it out of the frame because it has those pointed diamond shaped metal all around. I tore a piece of the tape off the back. Does this ring any bells--painting, artist, frame, watercolor or print of some kind?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    Hi2022 likes this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

It looks like it was done in some type of pastel, conte crayon, or other medium in stick form.

Figtree3 and Hi2022 like this.
  3. alynnfin

Thank you. So, dumb as it sounds, how do I tell if it is conte crayon or a print originally done in pastel or conte crayon?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    Hi2022 likes this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I'm not the guy to help identify the various print technologies. I know enough to be deadly.

A few people I know with graphic arts printing knowledge, and I know I'm missing someone or three, so my apologies:
    @moreotherstuff
    @Figtree3
    @Lithographer

And a wonderful and knowledgeable resource on art:
    @Debora

And courtesy of Figtree3 from another thread, here's a site that has some identification resources for the different types of processes:

http://www.graphicsatlas.org/identification/

Figtree3, Hi2022 and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have a frame like that from the 70's...

Hi2022 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Off the internet...

Oestreicher's Prints, inc., the world's largest collection of fine color art reproductions

... although it appears they also sold original lithographs.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

7. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I tried an image search, but did not find your print. One of the ways for creating the image for a stone lithograph is to use a crayon. The resulting image will look like a crayon drawing. That little mark at the bottom might be a cypher, Whistler used something similar.
    I am not as familiar with commercial printing, but if you don’t see dots that is a good sign. Just by looking at the image, in terms of style, I would say it is not contemporary to the frame and the label. I suspect a reproduction of an earlier work.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is this under glare-free glass? That stuff was popular in the '70s and is horrible. It softens the image beneath it.

If this is charcoal/chalk/pastels/conté and has not been "fixed" (sprayed with an adherent) then it will shed color like chalk on a chalkboard and you might notice some along the bottom edge of the mat.

I don't think removing it from the frame will compromise anything and there may be some additional information hidden by the mat. At the very least you'll have a better sense of whether it's original or a print. And if it is under glare-free glass, you'll be surprised at how much more lively it appears once that is gone.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. Open it up. See what you have.

Debora

10. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a print. Remove it from the frame to start with. It's rather easy to tell if it's a print or original once you don't have the glass.

11. alynnfin

Wow Thanks sabre123!

12. alynnfin

Good to have a date for the frame.

13. alynnfin

Ok, I will reluctantly do that. I know I need to, I know you have seen this before, but you can't know how true it is, I can break annoying. I am not graceful. I'll get to it and report back. Thank you all!

14. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

If you think you are going to be purchasing lots of artwork for profit or collecting, you might want to invest in a frame point shooter. I bought one, along with a mat cutter, about 20 years ago, it was well worth the investment. For larger pieces I take the old mat to the hobby store and they will cut you a fresh one.

15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

An excellent reference for identifying print techniques, with lots of discussion of history, and closeup images:
    Bamber Gascoigne: How to Identify Prints. 2nd ed. Thames & Hudson, 2004. ISBN 9780500284803

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. alynnfin

Thank you 2many books. I am an avid book reader and unfortunately for my book addiction, I volunteer at a library bookstore where patrons donate their used books to be sold so the library can use the money. I almost have to go to work with my purse hidden. Love books and buying them is an addiction.

2manybooks likes this.
  17. alynnfin

Thank you Lithographer and good idea if I didn't have 5 thumbs on each hand. I do not intend to necessarily buy more. I am just trying to deplete my basement full. Although I break down and pick one up here and there. I do know there is a word called willpower, I misplaced mine.

18. alynnfin

Ok, I have it off and I think it is an original. The only thing is do artist draw on board like this. I cannot feel the separation between the painting and the backboard, so do artists draw on board that has a center of different paper on it? IMG_1511__1645905533_95097.jpg IMG_1512__1645905566_96545.jpg

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So it does not feel like the drawing is on one piece of paper glued onto that larger board?

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wow....that really put the tape too close to the image.....

Draft saved Draft deleted