Featured any ideas of age on this possible pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Nancy Neal, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

I IMG_7926.JPG IMG_7927.JPG IMG_7927.JPG think it was a pendant at on time, looks like a locket but does not open, I thought at first it mide have gold edging, but as back is worn maybe a gold wash/plate, front is enamel,measure one inch by 3/4 inch, thanks for any insight, dont think it has any great value just curious, thank you all for looking and making comments IMG_7926.JPG

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It certainly looks like it SHOULD open, can you take a pic of the sides? .. it's quite pretty, .. Joy.

judy, Sandra and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Nancy Neal, it's a pretty little thing. At that size it "almost" looks like a "charm" for a "charm bracelet." Or it could be a "locket" for a necklace.

I am not telling you to "force" it open . . . but I do think because of the hinges that it was meant to open and close.

Now I want to know what (if anything) may be inside it. ;)

judy, Sandra and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

well lo and behold it opened, nothing inside, except a plastic insert so meant for a photo I guess, Thank you so much I tried to open it before but couldnt,

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Good going, Nancy Neal. ;) Like I said before "it's a pretty little thing." ;)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

If the plastic insert is original to it then it will be post 1945, if the insert is celluloid then it could be considerably older. Early plastic was hard and rigid whilst early celluloid was mostly thin and fragile and highly flamable, Joy.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

The black colour makes me think it is a mourning pendant. It would have been home to a picture or lock of hair from a loved one who had died

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't have any idea; it could be 60 years old without a problem, but I don't think it's old enough to be a mourning piece.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Christmasjoy

I agree, most probably held a photograph .. Joy.

judy likes this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    A real mourning piece would be black but NOT have the bright colors in it. Perhaps a few pearls but that is about all.
    greg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

And then only if it were intended for second stage of first stage mourning (say 6 months in).

Christmasjoy and gregsglass like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now a 1930s Victorian Revival piece... that could have the colors. They weren't always faithful to the originals and did whatever looked good sometimes. It could also be a 30s takeoff on Victorian-era pietra dura jewelry. Those had the black and colors as often as not.

13. Christmasjoy

So I guess the plastic insert was added much later, does the plastic piece look original to the locket ? if so it would be post 1945 ... Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted