Any ideas on age of this large painting i bought

Discussion in 'Art' started by bob531, Nov 6, 2020.

1. bob531

bob531 New Member

Hi, Im new here , im researching a painting i have which was found in the attic rooms of a country house in Kent, UK.
    Its pretty large and has considerable paint deterioration on the flesh areas, probably lead or zinc white. Its after Van Dyck`s Rest on the flight to Egypt housed in the Alte Pinakothek in Munich.
    The canvas measures approx 135cm x 115cm.
    Frame is very nice , anyone know what syle country frame is likely from as well?
    Any thoughts on it are welcome.
    Thanks Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

redundant post

It will be very expensive to restore (unless you can do it yourself).

Fid likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

If those white spots are bare canvas then prep work wasn't too pro at the time and paint will continue to flake off unless stabilized. If the spots are the ground (gesso) then you have more of a shot at getting it fixed. Probably sat on a damp floor for a while.

Not a bad decorative copy, 19thc, if it were mine and I had the room to hang such a big thing, I'd probably do the work myself and just live with the result. OTOH these things can do OK on Ebay, just list it as is and as an "old master oil painting" keeping the knowledge of what it is a copy of to yourself and no doubt several fish will bite, just like you did! :jimlad:

5. bob531

bob531 New Member

I can do alot of the work myself but im weak on retouching/ paint infill. The white is the gesso ground.
    I paid very little for it, probably due to the size ,it is pretty heavy also with the frame.
    It had been in a country house antic rooms for decades ,probably in damp humid conditions and that has caused the zinc or lead in the flesh tones to blister and force the paint off, all the other paint is fine but stabilising of the paint layers etc..is needed but it will be a big side project.

Draft saved Draft deleted