Any ideas on age - Old leather / wood pub tray

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MattNZ, Oct 27, 2019.

1. MattNZ

MattNZ New Member

Hi All,

Matt from New Zealand here,

I'm trying to track down the approximate age, and hopefully geographic origin, of this tray.

The tray is wooden (coated on shellac), and the center is leather (embossed).

There should be thousands of these around but haven't been able to find any info!

Any ideas appreciated :) P1120570.JPG P1120571.JPG

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi MattNZ!

Welcome to Antiquers..........

Photo of the back????

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect 1960s and I also suspect made in italy.

Figtree3 and kentworld like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree with above.

Debora

MattNZ and Ownedbybear like this.
  5. MattNZ

MattNZ New Member

Hi - thank you for your reply and info! Is it the shape of the tray that points to italy or the style of embossing on the leather? I'll make a note of you opinion and add it to my 'repertoire' - many thanks, Matt

6. MattNZ

MattNZ New Member

Hi! Thank you for your message (and welcome!) - I'll take a photo tomorrow - there aren't any markings though. I'm tending to think that it's 60s as per Ownedbybear 's opinion..

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In the 1960s, Italy exported a great amount of Florentine toleware, as it's called. Many of the trays were in same shape as yours. Florence is also known for its leather work and a few trays had leather inserts instead of color decoration.

Typically, items like this date to the onset of mass tourism -- the 1960s/1970s but, given the colorway of yours (and its hard to tell from photograph) yours is likely from the earlier part of that period. Here's something similar on offer at etsy.com.

Yours would have been a handsome souvenir in its time.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/698467...her&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

Debora

il_794xN.1902927448_qto0.jpg

Figtree3, BoudiccaJones and komokwa like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can't add anything much to what Debora has said - that embossed edge pattern is absolutely typical. I saw lots of this out there in the 60s, and we brought bits home as souvenirs. It's nice stuff. Yours would have been for fancy dinner parties to hand round the sherry glasses. ;)

BoudiccaJones and Debora like this.
  9. MattNZ

MattNZ New Member

Hi Debora,

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and also for sharing the link - I've spent hours on google with no result so it really is a great help to me! And it's great to be a bit more educated too.

Now that the mystery is solved I can move on to restoring this item :)

Thanks again,
    Matt

10. MattNZ

MattNZ New Member

Thanks Ownedbybear! As per my thanks to Deborah same to you! I can't believe I missed out on the sixties darn it!

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted