Any ideas on the signature of this Romanian painting?

Discussion in 'Art' started by moontymes, Jul 31, 2014.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I can't figure this out. The back of the canvas board has some writing on it..."Winter in Bucharest on label written in English, and then in Romanian in ink. The way this is framed makes me think it might be more than a tourist painting, but I've checked Romanian artists and nothing similar to this signature comes up. The owners of the estate didn't appear to have traveled to or been from Romania, so I'm wondering what the story is on this one. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lloneicu ? I really like this painting !

3. moontymes

Thanks Johnny!

4. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Wonderful painting.

5. moontymes

Thanks so much 6rivets! I really like it too. I feel like this painting should be identifiable, but my research has brought me nowhere/no clues. Frustrating!

6. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Possibly Lucretia Ionescu.
    I know that the 's' in the last 'scu' does not look like 's' but rather 'i' but it won't make sense with 'i' because there is not such ending in Romanian names as 'icu'.
    In the word 'Peisaj' ( landscape) on the verso the 's' also does not look like a typical one although it is a bit more curved than the one in the signature. Plus seems that the artist writes the 'i' with a dot over.
    I cannot find a clear image of Lucretia Ionescu ( 1921-2001) signature but she graduated from Art Academy in Bucharest, some of her paintings looks similar in style and her signature appears to be in red and do look like L ionescu but again a clear image will be of help.
    You can go on google.ro and do some more search.

7. moontymes

Wow, kardinalisimo! Thank you :happy: You might be on to something there. Yes, it doesn't look like there is an "S" in my painting, but I will do some research. It's definitely a possibility. Thank you so much, unfortunately research is not really my strong suit, and this is definitely a lead. I'll let you know what I find.

8. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

9. moontymes

Thanks Elarnia,
    You know I'd like to think that it was Lucretia Ionescu who painted this, because it would be the easy thing to do and would put the question at rest. But really the signatures don't have a lot in common, and no matter how I look at it, I can't get "Ionescu" from looking at my signature. It's just that little "S" that's messing it up, lol! Am I right in coming to this conclusion?

Draft saved Draft deleted