Any ideas on this painting? Artist, location, etc.? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Art' started by MCK, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MCK

MCK New Member

I've had this painting for awhile and haven't been able to find anything about it. It is an original.

Any ideas on the who the painter is or even the location in being depicted?

Thanks
    Mike Image from iOS.jpg signature.png

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fyi, it's always helpful to have photographs of both the front and back including frame along with close-up photographs of any stickers, labels or hand-written notations. That said... Looks like one of those Rainy Day in Fill-in-the-European-City paintings that were churned out in the 1950s and 1960s.

Debora

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Early 1900s! En sus sueños.

Debora

aaroncab, MCK, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. MCK

MCK New Member

Dang responded without logging in and then logged in and it removed my posts. Bleh.

Anyway that’s awesome y’all found it!

Too funny “famed artist” what a joke apparently. :p

Can’t remember exactly where I got the the painting but think was prob yard sale etc.

I been wanting to let it go (don’t particularly care for it) but couldn’t bring myself to do it because didn’t know if it was “special” etc.

That name was all but illegible to me but now that I can search for “R. Saimon” I see a lot of the same and similar art work!

Thanks so much!

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Don’t forget-RARE is a four letter word. :)

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

lloyd249, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

lloyd249 likes this.
  10. misun

misun Member

I disagree about the signature being from another artist. It is from the same hand.

I have one of R. Saimon's paintings as well.

I think this one is lovely and is one of his better pieces given what I've seen on the internet

11. misun

misun Member

And you asked about the location -
    It seems he has painted several different paintings from one general location in Paris, given the Eiffel tower can be seen in some of his other paintings.

12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

NOT from the same hand in my opinion !!! ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  13. misun

misun Member

The artist has a very distinct style. As I said I have one of his paintings.

But of course everyone is entitled to their opinion

14. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Exactly ... and that is mine ... Joy. :)

blooey likes this.
  15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Here's the painting from INH's link....I'm struck by how similar it is to OP's, yet how different. And the signature.

5.jpg

6.jpg

16. misun

misun Member

Yes, it's the fun of being an Antiquer :)
    Trying to make sense of an objects history.

I'm curious to know more about the Art-making factory practices of the early 20th C. Were they informed to replicate signatures and themes?

Anyway, looks like R. Saimon is finally getting his day of recognition! Whoever he or they may be

17. misun

misun Member

Or, possibly, She

18. misun

misun Member

19. misun

misun Member

The canvas itself is very damaged a lot of cracks with a thick coating of grime over the surface.
    Unlike the other two which are almost exact replicas re place, this one shows a windmill and in the distance rather than there being the Arc de triomphe or the Eiffel tower, they're just tall buildings on a very cloudy rainy day.
    I could see these being sold to tourists.

20. misun

misun Member

It's almost as if the artist kept the bookmark figures of the building and trees to the left and to the right the same tarp but in the center it's a different scene. Very interesting!

Draft saved Draft deleted