Any ideas what the rollers on this wringer are made of?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Michelle_7728, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Michelle_7728

Michelle_7728 New Member

I got this Anchor model 790 clothes wringer off of Craigslist a week ago, and wanted to clean it up a bit. I didn't think that sanding would be a good idea, but did take some blue shop cloths and wipe the wood down with furniture polish. It cleaned it up nicely (was an old faded straw color before) and really brought out the lettering. I also wiped the metal parts with Fantastic, which cleaned them up a bit. I wanted to take the bottom metal pieces off and buff them to get the rust off, but decided to leave them be as I was concerned about stripping the threads on the nut holding each side on.

I'd like to put something on the rollers to clean them up a bit, but have no idea what they are made of...leather maybe?

I'm not cleaning it to resell it or make it more valuable...I'm guessing if I were I'd be going about it all wrong...but just for my personal pleasure in seeing something old looking as nice as it can and putting it on display in our house.

Any ideas what these rollers are made of?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Usually the wringer part was wood some had a canvas covering. Ran my hand through them a lot.:eek:
    greg

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Our washing machine was on the back porch. I'd stand on a milk crate and my mother would hand me a piece of clothing to feed into the wringer while she cranked. When I was six, we lived in an apartment block and one of our neighbors caught her arm in a washer and broke it. She came running out screaming while all of us kids were playing. Scared the daylights out of me so I was very, very careful not to get my fingers squeezed!

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

DH said wood too, but that's all he had to offer!!! NICE decorative item!!!!:):):)

KingofThings and judy like this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

None were rubber coated/sleeved wood?
    My Grandma used one in the kitchen and I seem to recall this.

7. KingofThings

This is my standard help document>

(And you can go back to EDIT to implement it if you wish)

~

I’ve found that this works best for me by computer though by phone is, or may be, a bit different.

Photos always load quickly and so I wrote this up to help all and all of you are welcome to copy and share when necessary. :) >>>

~~~

After your comments are complete drop down a line.

~

Put a squiggle > ~ or a dash - or something as a spacer from the words to the photos. I think this makes it easier to read your comments and questions.

~

Drop down a line.

~

Make your photos 480x640 or smaller.

~

Load all your photos, 10 max.

~

At the top of your photo pile there's an option to enlarge them all. (Full Image)

~

Enlarge them always please.

~

Thank you!

Note> If you go back and edit you must always click your cursor under the last squiggle or your comments will be split up by the photos.

Also, many of us will not open links so it's best to put photos directly in your post.

~

VIDEO TUTOR BY JOSHUA BROWN >>>>

~

https://vid.me/hjCL

8. KingofThings

Welcome! :)

9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I THINK the rollers on ours were were covered with (chamois?) leather. I vaguely remember them having to be replaced.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm pretty sure ours had a layer of something over the wood, but I don't remember what. It was kind of an off-white

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted