Featured ANY INF ON BEAUTIFUL OLD CARVED WOOD FRAME w/REMOVABLE CENTER

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 1, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this frame a while back at a thrift store or yard sale. I love the look but have never seen one with a removable center. The inner part with the brass buttons all around it is held in place with only a couple of nails - I can remove it & be able to add a larger painting.
    What do I call this style of frame with all the carved wood? Antique carved wood frame? Rococo frame?
    How old is it?
    Thank you!
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING FRAME 1A_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING FRAME 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING FRAME 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING FRAME 6AA.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It doesn't look very old, but it is beautiful. Rococo style is fine imo.

3. journeymagazine

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is beautiful. I have added wood strips to the inside of other frames to fit a picture or painting. In fact I have one with three other inside frames to make one fit.
    greg

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a late Victorian compound frame. Made of several moldings to give a wide deep look in line with Victorian excess.

6. journeymagazine

Thank you verybrad - going to look up compound frame now!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's probably not carved wood. The fancy stuff is more likely applied plaster or gesso. Overall it looks to be in good condition, but there are losses along the edges that ought to show its makeup.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

agreed..

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Here are 2 close ups of the corners where there is some damage & you can see it better - is it wood or gesso or something else? (if I list it I want it to be truthful - too much work went into that 100% positive feedback!)
    If it is gesso, is that a bad thing?
    Thanks
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING FRAME 7AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING FRAME 7AAA.jpg

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Yes, gesso applied over a wooden base... unless someone else has a different name for the material (it's always seemed like a hardened putty to me). Gesso is the standard for that period and that type of decoration.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted