Any info of age/style/maker/etc? It's my Great Great Grandmothers and my mom just almost tossed it..

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Brian Wiegand, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Brian Wiegand

Brian Wiegand New Member

2. Brian Wiegand

Brian Wiegand New Member

My mom said it's supposedly mahogany under the painted surface. I guess she has the original fabric stored away. Any idea who the maker is? I don't see any labels. And rough value (not selling). Age? Tough questions with nothing to go on, I know. I still can't believe after this long of being in the family she said it was going to the dump!! I actually scolded her and asked what other heirlooms were stashed away. Haha. She said there is a chair or table or couch?? , (I can't remember right now) that is the companion piece to this. But, it's in ownership by a distant relative in another state. . Any info or possible history lesson would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  3. Brian Wiegand

Brian Wiegand New Member

4. Brian Wiegand

Brian Wiegand New Member

Oh yeah, forgot. My friend has a finishing business and I want him to restore it with maybe a more modern cloth. My wife is 3 months pregnant with our first child and I'm going to put it in the nursing room for her. :)

i need help and judy like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late 19th to early 20th century. Part of a parlor set. Quality seems a step above the typical mail-order sets from the time. What do you know of the history..... where has it been?

judy, johnnycb09 and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

So nice of you to think of refinishing for the nursery. Congratulations! :)

judy likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think it's charming. Excuse the (unsolicited) advice but... Do take time choosing a new fabric and go beyond the offering of your local fabric chain store. As you're going to the time and expense of restoring, you'll want to add (not distract) from your settee's charm. Might be helpful to take a design cue from the original fabric if your mother still has it about.

Debora

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I hope your wife has an easy pregnancy ....... & you too !! :playful:

i need help likes this.
  9. Brian Wiegand

Brian Wiegand New Member

Definitely want to bring the fabric up to date, but still keep it classy. No chevrons for this guy. Hahaha

10. Brian Wiegand

Brian Wiegand New Member

I'll ask her again and try to get more info. I'll let you know in a few days.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

lovely. French country style ? I'd wait till you know the sex of the child for the color. pink or sky blue.

Brian Wiegand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted