ANY INFO ON 1960s MAGNAVOX SPEAKERS - SQUARE, ON WHEELS, SEAT TOP

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 5, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found these in my local thrift store - they were part of a 1968 Magnavox stereo console (smallish size) - I asked the manager if I could buy just the speakers & he agreed - for 1/2 the stereo's $100 price.
    But I can't find a pic or anything about them, even with the model number!
    Has anyone seen/heard of these? Are they as rare as they seem?
    PS - They have cut outs for the speaker's sound behind the screens on 2 of the 4 sides - the other 2 sides are solid behind the screen.
    It looks like they were made for you to sit on?!
    Thanks for any help or thoughts!
    PSS - Can I call these Mid Century Modern?

music speakers magnavox 1aa.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS MAGNAVOX 1CAA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS MAGNAVOX 5A_AA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS MAGNAVOX 5AA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS MAGNAVOX 2AA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS MAGNAVOX 8AA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS MAGNAVOX 8AAA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS MAGNAVOX 8BAA.JPG

2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The dates for Mid-Century Modern are a bit fluid but 1968 does fall into the range.

Debora

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

1968 might just sneak into MCM era.

Have the speakers been tested?

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Have you tested them? They are a bit post space-agey to my eye, but still cool. Unless they are sought after by audiophiles (don't seem to be, by a quick google search) - I think you'll be lucky to recoup your 50 bucks (especially if they aren't working, or have rotted speaker surrounds), and I think the price on the pair that rink found on Ebay is a fantasy. Who knows though - maybe someone that has that console is looking for spare/replacement speakers...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    judy, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the seller of the pic I posted of the speakers is just putting a ridiculous price on it just to see if sticks to the wall. I dont think magnavox was a popular brand even back in the day. If they dont work you might just want to see if you can get your money back or try and sell them for what you paid for them.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks rink - I winder why they didn't come up when I put in model number?

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is the most important question, people aren't going to buy these to have matching end tables.;)
    You wouldn't believe how many old speakers have that problem. Mould as well, which you don't want in your house. Then there are speakers that need to be re-glued to the surround, a job mr AJ always assigns to me.:nailbiting: Oxidation of the wiring and other components, etc, etc.
    Which need to be in good condition...., so again, check them.
    Putting speakers on wheels generally won't benefit the sound, on the contrary.

aaroncab and judy like this.
  9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I'm not seeing any wires ?

Early BlueTooth :D

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No pics of the backs.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted