ANY INFO ON AFRICAN(?) MEXICAN(?) PRIMITIVE PAINTING(?) MIXED MEDIA(?)

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 5, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at the thrift store - what is it?!
    The white parts on it are painted, but the rest feels almost like someone brushed the cardboard (or whatever was used for a canvas) against the grain to get the 3D look- it reminds me of a Native American art pottery vase I once had that had the same figure with the round mouth (but it was a warrior) & the same 3 dimensional/smooth & rough look, but that was done with pottery so it was easier to get the look.
    When I asked the store manager he said "mixed media?" but he wasn't sure either.
    Also, it isn't signed anywhere that I can see - was this for tribal use where they didn't sign their art because everyone knew who did it? (I thought there was a signature at the bottom (next to last photo), but I think it may be a water stain line?

Any help with what I have, where it's from & how old is it, would be appreciated!

ART PAINTING AFRICAN PRIMITIVE LARGE 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING AFRICAN PRIMITIVE LARGE 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING AFRICAN PRIMITIVE LARGE 3AA.JPG
    ART PAINTING AFRICAN PRIMITIVE LARGE 3AAA.JPG ART PAINTING AFRICAN PRIMITIVE LARGE 4AA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is Native American right?

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Don't think its mixed media. Kinda reminds me of souvenir art.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No, not Native American. And not a traditional (made for their own use) type of artwork from anywhere that I recognize. I think it has a tribal Philippines vibe.

komokwa likes this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

“Contemporary” (in my book meaning 80s forward) tourist “tribal”piece. Definitely not NA. No clue where it’s from.

@Taupou

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In art history, contemporary is post-World War II.

Debora

7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Art history changes with the times. My degree is in Art History and I am an art docent. Art history of my university time excluded clay, glass, photography, film, fiber, etc. All are included in Art History today. Post war is really Modern and there are, IMO, issues with calling art that is 40 plus years old Contemporary although I use the term too.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted