Featured ANY INFO ON ANTIQUE, HANDMADE(?) WROUGHT IRON, 72 BOTTLE WINE HOLDER

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 4, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I've had this for awhile - I finally was able to get to it again after selling 6-7 bikes over the week-end and was once again able to get close enough to it to admire it again.
    I think it may be handmade? Made of wrought iron or some kind of metal and judging by the lock/handle on the door - pretty old?
    It holds 72 bottles wine safely (handle on door will take a key or padlock, wired sides + bars on back will keep anyone from sneaking a bottle out!) and measures 65.5" tall x 21.5" wide x 15" deep - and it's heavy!
    I'm wondering if it's worth sanding it & then painting it (black with gold or white for the diamond accents on the top & bottom + the wired sides)
    Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it old? Is it handmade (the wires on front, top & sides look like something off the back of a vintage refrigerator?) or are there others?
    I'm thinking/hoping I can get a pretty penny for it?
    Thanks all
    PS - With all this time we're stuck in the house I've started selling the first layer of stuff laying around in piles that I've collected over the last year or so (with thrift stores being closed I can't go hunting & find new things everyday that I would end up putting on top of a stack - hiding the early stuff deeper & deeper!) so that leaves my old finds & so hopefully I'll be posting all kinds of cool stuff I've forgotten about!

FURNITURE WINE HOLDER 74 BOTTLES 1Azzx.JPG FURNITURE WINE HOLDER 74 BOTTLES 2ZZ.JPG FURNITURE WINE HOLDER 74 BOTTLES 3AA.JPG FURNITURE WINE HOLDER 74 BOTTLES 4AA.JPG FURNITURE WINE HOLDER 74 BOTTLES 4AAA.JPG FURNITURE WINE HOLDER 74 BOTTLES 6AA.JPG FURNITURE WINE HOLDER 74 BOTTLES 8AA.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WELL now, that looks like a good project to keep you in self-isolation for a while!!!! Providing you have most everything you need, handy!!!! Good Lord, 72 bottles of wine.....most would be vintage by the time I got to more than a couple of them!!!! :hilarious::D

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Certainly hold off painting until you know more about this. What an unusual piece. If it is collectible someone may prefer it in it's original state even with the rust.

Aquitaine, Bronwen, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

does one need that many putters...?:wideyed::wideyed:..;)...:hilarious:

Aquitaine, Bronwen, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

This reminds me of "wine cages" I have seen over the years in restaurants. One steakhouse in Northern VA that I remember, in particular (from years ago - early 1990's) had an entryway lined with (locked) cages similar to this one.

7. journeymagazine

Wine cage - that's the name!

Aquitaine, Bronwen and judy like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Aquitaine, Bronwen and popsycat like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think that was a fairly new-ish decorative import that's been treated badly.

Debora

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  10. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

1970's Mexico ???

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NATURALLY, I would love the little one that's "Out of Stock"!!!!!

Wrought Iron Wine Jail.jpg

12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Certainly not wrought iron. The frame appears to be standard sizes of bar stock welded together.

Darkwing Manor and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Real wrought iron hasn't been used for probably 80+ years,everything called "wrought iron" has been mild steel.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd look to someplace like World Market.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted