ANY INFO ON ANTIQUE JAPANESE WOOD BLOCK PRINT?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 16, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at the thrift store yesterday. The card on the back says it's a 'Bosh Illustration' & early 19th century?
    Can anyone tell me anything about it?
    What is a Bosh illustration?
    Who made it?
    PS - it's on very thin paper; I'm surprised it didn't tear while pressing wood block onto it. (rice paper?)
    Thanks all.

ART PRINT WOOD BLOCK PRINT 1A_A.JPG ART PRINT WOOD BLOCK PRINT 2AA.JPG ART PRINT WOOD BLOCK PRINT 2AAA.JPG ART PRINT WOOD BLOCK PRINT 3AA.JPG ART PRINT WOOD BLOCK PRINT 3AAA.JPG ART PRINT WOOD BLOCK PRINT 4AA.JPG ART PRINT WOOD BLOCK PRINT 5AA.JPG ART PRINT WOOD BLOCK PRINT 6AA.JPG

georgeingraham and Firemandk like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

really..........c'mon......... it was torn out of a BOOK ....
    A BOOK Illustration ................

3. journeymagazine

Ok ok I really didn't see that

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Nice find. Interested to know, can any of the more knowledeable here confirm that it is early 19th century? How can you tell, if so?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Did you do a Google Image search to see if a match comes up?

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Somebody needs glasses.;)

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I read it as "Book Illustration'' ... not Bosh ... Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

OK here's another dumb question - is this still a wood block print? Can I list it as that?
    In my defense, my girlfriend had her first radiation treatment today for cancer & as I was posting this she was on me about we were going to be late; so I did read it wrong (boy did I) but I was rushing!

10. journeymagazine

PS - looking at it now, it's so obvious it says book illustration...sheesh

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i hope your gal fares well...............

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Totally understandable. I hope the treatment works, and she will recover soon. Take good care of her, and of yourself too.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  13. journeymagazine

Thanks Any Jewelry & komokwa they started the radiation yesterday to try to shrink & stop a tumor that keeps bleeding (it's like a damn faucet that keeps dripping after you turn it off). She's been fighting the cancer for 3 years and they told her there isn't much more they can do.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that the two of you have had to go through all that, journey. Let's hope for better luck this time. You are both in my thoughts.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Houseful, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

16. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Yes, it was created using a woodblock. The paper is traditional Japanese "washi", made from the inner bark of various trees/shrubs. It is quite strong, even when very thin.

17. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

@journeymagazine Check out the documentary "weed the people" on netflix.. medical marijuana may be helpful! Wishing you all the best.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sending best wishes that your girlfriend will heal and make a full recovery, @journeymagazine .

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. journeymagazine

20. journeymagazine

She has 13 years clean & I will have 14 in July so she won't smoke weed (I actually met her while I was working at a detox center I'd gone through before rehab (and got the job after). A few unusual things - I went there to get clean after the death of my daughter & started a magazine It's all in the Journey there at night when the clients were sleeping (lasted almost 8 yrs till economy crashed & advertisers went to Pay Per Click on internet) - Lynda went there to get clean after the death of her son, and then she ended up with my job as a night tech when she finished rehab & I had left to start Journey magazine! (she later helped me start Joy's House (a sober house for girls I opened in my Joy's memory) and was the house mom/manager for the first few years!

samuelcaulfield1 and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted