ANY INFO ON ANTIQUE YACHT(?) SHIP(?) WALL MOUNTED LANTERN

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 10, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I won an online auction I got into only because the house the contents were being auctioned out of was only a couple of miles from me.
    I ended up winning a group of antique nautical lanterns (plus a RSOP cognac bottle in a cannon decanter + a small heavy cannon) that have been sitting outside by the pool bar & a canal that led 100 yards to Biscayne bay & the ocean - they are a little rough.

What is the best way to clean them? (I was thinking brasso from my military school days polishing my belt buckle with the stuff until it was a mirror!)

Can anyone make out the badge/name on the wall mounted weighted lantern/lamp? Any info or age on it? It has a beautiful glass globe with 3 different type sailing ships etched into it (why I thought it may be for a yacht instead of a ship) - is the globe rare; I wouldn't think too many lasted over the years?

I can't tell if it's a lamp or a lantern - it has 2 springs holding the globe on that I'm afraid to try to undo.

Also with the cannon - it appears & feels like one that would have been used to start a yacht race or announce a ship returning to port(?) - but there's no hole that would be used for a wick to light any packed gunpowder - is it just decorative? Unfinished?

As always I appreciate your help!

COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN 1AA A GROUP 1 RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL cannon 2AA A GROUP 1.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN WALL MOUNT 1AA RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN WALL MOUNT 2AA RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN WALL MOUNT 3AA RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN WALL MOUNT 4AA RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN WALL MOUNT 5AA RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN WALL MOUNT 6AA RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL LANTERN WALL MOUNT 7AA RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL CANNON 1.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL CANNON 3.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAUTICAL CANNON 4.JPG

Here is front of cannon - it looks like it would handle firing? So why no fuse hole?
    Thanks again!

Figtree3, NewEngland and judy like this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

(plus a RSOP cognac bottle in a cannon decanter + a small heavy cannon) that have been sitting outside by the pool bar........That looks like a bottle of (and I'm gonna spell it wrong, I'm sure) Courvoisier Cognac...RSOP.....which my Dad always stood for "Really Slopped Old Person":):smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: (He loved the (VSOP!)

i need help and anundverkaufen like this.
  5. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

The tall gimballed lamp is probably the oldest one there. It certainly looks all original, including the glass shade. Because of its height I would guess that it is from a large yacht or a passenger ship. I'm guessing but I would date it to the early 1900's. For purposes of identification it is Ok to polish the brass tag regardless, then google that info. for prices and dates. With the shade, altogether, it should be worth a pretty penny. My choice for cleaning metals is "Flitz", which comes in a tube and can be obtained from your local hardware store. A little bit will go a long way.

Ghopper1924, judy and i need help like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Neet items. The yoke on the base may have held a compass at one time

Ghopper1924, judy and i need help like this.
  7. journeymagazine

the yoke attaches to the wall & holds the lamp - which is heavy weighted bottom so it doesn't rock too much in high seas (I knew that at least!).
    I figured the shade had to be valuable because of the age (andnot even a crack), the etchings in it & the springs to hold it - they didn't do that with any other nautical lamp/lantern I've come across

judy, i need help and Rayo56 like this.
  8. journeymagazine

There is a ring w/posts on the lamp that the yoke fits

Ghopper1924, i need help and Rayo56 like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The lamp is what is called "gimballed."

Ghopper1924, aaroncab, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. i need help

C494B2C7-D4F5-4C4B-8EDB-14FDB7A99A95.jpeg

Not it, but it does look like Kobenhavn?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I would not polish shiny. There's a stuff called copper jelly, like naval jelly for copper and brass. Just knock off the white and green.

anundverkaufen, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Boy that photo of E.F.Sorensen reproduction lamp of "i need help" is almost an exact twin to your lamp except for 2 things: 1. the bottom of the base pieces are different and 2. I can see that the tags are going to read different perhaps this is an earlier reproduction? Or perhaps it's an original and the model of this reproduction?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  14. journeymagazine

Wow that's close

judy likes this.
  15. journeymagazine

The name above the bottom numbers on the tag also says Kobenhavn - so mine is a copy too?

Any idea why cannon doesn't have fuse hole?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. i need help

Kobenhavn is just the old way of spelling Copenhagen. Do you think that is what it says? Maybe a way to look.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. i need help

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  18. i need help

19. journeymagazine

I'm going to get some copper jelly or flitz to try to clean the plate/tag to see if I can see it better

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-3-11_23-19-1.jpeg upload_2019-3-11_23-19-27.jpeg

while the lamp looks similar...the mounting bracket looks older....

judy, Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted