ANY INFO ON BIG CERAMIC? CHALKWARE? BLACK PANTHER w/RED GLASS? EYES

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 16, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi
    I found this a few days ago at a local thrift store. It's big (27+" tall), hand painted and has red glass? eyes that glow in almost any light.

I saw a couple like mine that have sold for $600 - $900(!) - but I haven't seen another with the red eyes.
    The others were described as made in Italy & ceramic and all had green eyes.
    Is it possible to tell where mine is from?
    Is it made of ceramic? Or chalk ware? Or plaster?
    Are those eyes glass? & how do they glow like that? (last close up photo taken without camera flash - that glow is from a table lamp across the room!
    Finally, it has some small paint loss in areas; most notably on it's front paw & a flea bite size chip on the back of 1 ear (see photos) - I think a bottle of black nail polish would touch it up nicely; but I'm not sure that's the best thing to fo to keep it's value?
    Any info or thoughts on it would greatly help me.
    Thank you!

POTTERY CERAMIC BLACK PANTHER STATUE 1AA.JPG POTTERY CERAMIC BLACK PANTHER STATUE 2AAA (2).JPG POTTERY CERAMIC BLACK PANTHER STATUE 2BAA (2).JPG POTTERY CERAMIC BLACK PANTHER STATUE 2DAA (2).JPG POTTERY CERAMIC BLACK PANTHER STATUE 3AA (2).JPG POTTERY CERAMIC BLACK PANTHER STATUE 5AA (2).JPG POTTERY CERAMIC BLACK PANTHER STATUE 6AA (2).JPG POTTERY CERAMIC BLACK PANTHER STATUE 8AA (2).JPG

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Looks like plaster to me.

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Are you sure it isn't 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'?

[​IMG]

4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted