Any Info on Box of Miniature Nude Women - They Look Like They're From 1920's(?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 19, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this in a storage auction I won last year & had forgotten completely about until I opened a box to see if there was room in it for some antique books and ... voila! There was this box of miniature nude women!
    they have no markings & measure 6" for the largest one to 2" for the 15 smaller ones.
    They remind me of women from the 1920's with the hat styles?
    Any idea who made these?
    What were they for? (I don't think they were for a young girl's doll house?!)
    Thank you for any information.

COLLECTIBLE NAKED LADY FIGURES MINIATURES  IN BOX 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAKED LADY FIGURES MINIATURES  IN BOX 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAKED LADY FIGURES MINIATURES  IN BOX 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAKED LADY FIGURES MINIATURES  IN BOX 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAKED LADY FIGURES MINIATURES  IN BOX 6AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE NAKED LADY FIGURES MINIATURES  IN BOX 5AA.JPG

MR Treasure Hunter likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Are they bisque or plastic?

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're Bathing Beauty figurines but from the look of them likely repros. Some are sorta 1920s-ish. Some are sorta older.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's a genuine 1920s one from Ruby Lane for comparison.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 2.03.06 PM.png

NewEngland likes this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Bathing beauties.......they do look like repros.

Early, better quality figures were made in Germany.

Van_Poperin likes this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just poking a bit of fun your way Journey, but you don't really think we believe you were looking at their hat styles do you? ;););)

johnnycb09 and samuelcaulfield1 like this.
  8. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Bathing beauty figurines as has already been said. The best ones have wigs. Not sure that these are original. As "I need help" mentioned need to know what they are made of.

samuelcaulfield1 and judy like this.
  9. journeymagazine

I'm guessing bisque - they have a dusty or powdery feel and more weight than a plastic one; the large one weighs over 3 oz

judy likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

So if bisque are they 1920's (did they make them later?) or are they copies/knock offs? H

11. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

These, and other items like half dolls are still made today, and some of the modern ones are beautiful quality. Tend to be German or “Foreign” (Japan) when they’re old? I stand to be corrected on that. Prices aren’t bad on these but not more than £30 each I would say and older is more valuable on average. F45A0A85-05A1-46AD-82D6-B79AA1643E6D.jpeg

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're sure to be reproductions. The bulk packaging alone tells us they were mass produced and recently. Compare the quality of the 20s Beauty I posted from Ruby Lane with one of yours. See how crudely the face is painted? And how out of period it feels?

Debora

Van_Poperin and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here. This will help you do so. One is clearly an imitation of the other.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 2.03.06 PM.jpg COLLECTIBLE NAKED LADY FIGURES MINIATURES  IN BOX 3AA 2.jpg

aaroncab, Van_Poperin and Bakersgma like this.
  14. journeymagazine

Ok, so what would I title them - Can I say Biaque Nude Miniature Dolls/Figures - without saying a date?
    Thanks for the help with these

15. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Put Bathing Beauties in the title. People do collect them.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're called Bathing Beauty Figurines. If they were mine, I'd use "repro" in listing title because they mimic older styles. And include the material as so many of the modern ones appear to be cast resin. Don't know if they'd be considered "bisque" in the true sense but perhaps ceramic?

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted