Featured ANY INFO ON GREEK(?) ICON w/2 DOORS?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 6, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this a few weeks ago & put it on my mantle with some other religous pieces I've come across. But yesterday I tried to look it up by googling metal greek icon with 2 doors' and saw a lot of images but none with the doors like mine - even though I've seen these before.
    Is there a special name for this type of icon I'm missing?
    Any way to tell how old it is?
    What does it say over the top of the picture frame part (that's greek, right?) - I can't put those characters in google translate!
    Anything else about it would be greatly appreciated.

COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS ICON METAL WITH 2 DOORS 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS ICON METAL WITH 2 DOORS 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS ICON METAL WITH 2 DOORS 2AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS ICON METAL WITH 2 DOORS 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS ICON METAL WITH 2 DOORS 4AA.JPG

Here's some of the religious pieces I've found in the last year thrift store hunting!

COLLECTIBLE RELIGOUS A GROUP 1A_AA.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Doesn't the tiny red printing on the right side say 1933? (Not that it actually looks that old. but I can't see what else it says.)

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It is Greek. For what is written over the window I'm getting 'Bless God in Church'. Presumably this command comes out a little differently in this context.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Good eyes, Bakers!!!!

Mill Cove Treasures and Bronwen like this.
  5. MT Vessel

MT Vessel Well-Known Member

In church you bless God? Similar to Bronwen’s translation. I suppose it has a very obvious equivalent English translation and I’m sure it’s somewhere on the internet.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. pixieforpapa

pixieforpapa Member

If you love religious iconography, check out listings for what are called “Nichos” in Spanish; wood / tin altars, often in a form combining a framed focus area and “doors” (usually non-functional) to further focus on what’s IN the frame (and, therefore, worthy of the focus). I’m assuming it’s a similar dealio.

Your find is amazingly beautiful!

Bronwen likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted