ANY INFO ON HAND PAINTED(?) VINTAGE/ANTIQUE MANDOLIN?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 26, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this thrift hunting - looks hand painted but it also looks like the artist painted the label so I can't tell anything about it (looks like Jess? painted on label).
    Can anyone tell me anything about this piece?
    Thanks!

MUSIC GUITAR MANDOLIN 1AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR MANDOLIN 2AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR MANDOLIN 3AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR MANDOLIN 4AAAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR MANDOLIN 7AAZZ.JPG MUSIC GUITAR MANDOLIN 5AAZZ.JPG

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The costumes look Sardinian (Italy) to me, so i'd say a handpainted Sardinian mandolin.:)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Jivvy, antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'd agree; and add that most likely it is more wall-art than a good-sounding playable mandolin. The tuners might help judge age, but there's a lot of glare in that photo. The tuners might well have been replaced, as they look to be fairly new, 1980s-1990s or newer, and the artwork and general style of the mandolin is earlier, 1950-60, perhaps. If someone bothered to replace the tuners, it might imply that it was playable at that time, though the action might have deteriorated since.

4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'll try to take a better photo - but ones that sold on ebay were in the $20 - $25 range anyway.
    thanks guys

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted