ANY INFO ON HANDMADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 14, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store. It appears to have been hand made!
    Can anyone tell me what they think?
    I googled hand made wood guitar and found everything from $50 to $2,000+
    Is it valuable? How do you tell?
    It has a crack on the front that I think would be easy to fix; if you push on the front above it, it lines back up perfectly. Is it?
    It's also missing the inlay - should I buy some mother of pearl and put it in or leave it as is for buyer to put what they want?
    Thanks all for any help!
    MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 1AA.JPG
    MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 3A_AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 4AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 4AAA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 4CAAA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 4DAAA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 5AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 6AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 6BAA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR HAND MADE WOOD ACOUSTIC GUITAR 7AA.JPG

Zinnie and i need help like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think @all_fakes would be the best member to answer.

anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I don't know enough to say anything authoritatively - but this one seems a little rough. Only a luthier can tell you how much it will cost to fix that crack and if it can be repaired effectively at all.

i need help likes this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Journey, it's in pretty bad shape. It is not worth putting any money at all into it. The last person who owned it, or strung it, put the low strings (the ones on the left in first photo) on the tuning pegs opposite of how they should be strung. lt was not well taken care of and improperly stored and has become very dry. The tuning hardware themselves have not been put on with any care. They aren't aligned properly as looking from behind.

Looks like it would be very difficult to fret a note even if it was in top condition. The fixed bridge seems really high.

5. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

You have a guitar stand, do you have others and play? As per strings on wrong, perhaps last owner was a leftie. Put new strings on, a piece of duck tape for now over the crack and give it a try. Doesn't have to be a Martin or a Steinway to play music from the heart (yes a pun). See also the maker's signature on the back and that person took great care to create a sweet-looking instrument, even if a bit wonky. One of a kind, certainly. ;)

judy and BaseballGames like this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Not a signature; that's the price I forgot to take off($39)! I'll try to sell it for the $40 I paid at yard sale this week end.
    Thanks all!

judy and Zinnie like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I should have been more clear...when you wind a guitar string on the tuning peg (for this type of guitar), it should leave the peg on the middle part of the neck, not the outside. So looking at this guitar, the top two on the left are strung wrong, and the one on the upper right is wound correctly as it faces the middle of the neck (but done very poorly). A lefty or righty is the same, just the low and high strings would be reversed.

I've been playing for over 30 years...

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Sabre is pretty much correct; this just doesn't look like a particularly well-made instrument, though the craftsman clearly took some care; and probably not worth repairing. Sell it as-is for what you can get, sounds like good advice.
    I've been playing guitar now for 55 years; violin, 60 years; mandolin, around 30, and octave mando, tenor banjo and such, around 25.
    I've repaired guitars, done fret-work, but never built one from scratch.

Zinnie, i need help, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You are a very talented man!!

all_fakes, i need help and Zinnie like this.
  10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I have my moments. There's a lot of talent on these boards, where many are highly talented in their areas of interest.
    :)

Draft saved Draft deleted