ANY INFO ON MOST UNUSUAL VASE I'VE EVER SEEN?!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 14, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this last week at a local thrift store - and forgot I had it (and more bags of stuff) until I opened my trunk to put groceries in it! (I know, I know; stop laughing)
    You can see from a small chip that it's plaster, but I thought it was made of some kind of metal when I first felt it.
    Is this hand made? It has a little quality control sticker on the bottom so it's probably mass produced, right? Although I've never seen anything like it!
    I thought I'd found a cool mid century modern vase because it is so unusual - even the inside is as unusual as the outside!
    Can anyone tell me what I found?
    Thanks all

POTTERY WAVY RED VASE 1AAZZ.JPG POTTERY WAVY RED VASE 1AAAZZ.JPG POTTERY WAVY RED VASE 1BAAZZ.JPG POTTERY WAVY RED VASE 3AA.JPG POTTERY WAVY RED VASE 2AA.JPG POTTERY WAVY RED VASE 2BAA.JPG POTTERY WAVY RED VASE 5AA.JPG

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

It's much newer than mid century QC labels haven't been around that long as far as I can remember.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Is that a date of: 5-3-11 on the bottom?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

The 5 is part of the other numbers (they are upside down)
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's newer - that was just my first thought.
    if you were going to sell it what would you call it?

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wrinkled, pleated, ruched?

i need help likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cactus look?

i need help likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I tried Accordion. :happy:
    No luck.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

ALL good names I didn't think of!
    Thanks!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

Fun piece! Looks like the maker took separate strips of glass (24 if I counted correctly) fused them into a vase shape and then re-fired the whole thing and wobbled it back and forth for the final product.

I would be surprised if there is an official name for the style as it appears like someone was just playing around w/ molten glass but I certainly can’t blame them for that :)

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think he said it's plaster. I do think I remember seeing some items similar to this somewhere with decor stuff though I don't remember where so could have been a thrift. My memory isn't much help as to exactly when but I'd guess the last 15 years.

11. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

That’s what I get for skimming :hilarious:

say_it_slowly likes this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I did find some vases in a similar shape though not material that they were calling origami style. Though I think this is sort of squashed origami.:D

Draft saved Draft deleted