Featured Any info on these containers?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

These are at a local thrift only have the one photo. Nothing marked on the base, not in the greatest condition. Approx 12" high. Two are pottery and one is metal. Just curious what they are if anyone knows, whether old, etc. Thanks! :)

aa.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Well they are old style drug jars or albarello. I especially like the one with a flying saucer:D

3. Lucille.b

Thank you, SIS.

I know, does look like a flying saucer, lol!

I didn't see any chips, but the pottery ones have that discoloration that pottery sometimes gets (kind of a wet look in spots) and the metal one is missing several areas of enamel. I didn't know if these were genuinely old or not. (Are there ever reproductions if this kind of thing?)

Decided to pass on them today, but realized I could take a quick photo and send to my computer, I expect them to still be there tomorrow. Price is not too high, under $10 for each. Any thoughts about whether they would be good for resale? Thank you.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1st see if anyone else is selling them...

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Yes, did that! Nothing exactly like these currently on Ebay unless I'm missing something.

A few of the high priced sold ones on Ebay were quite decorative though, with colorful scenes, etc. These certainly don't have that.

I'm heading to the thrift tomorrow, will check to see if there are any additional thoughts here on this post before I head out.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  6. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I definitely think you need to pick those up. Search antique pottery apothecary and you will see similar. The faults on the enamelware will not bother a collector but a rusted out bottom would be a turn off IMHO. Here are a couple but not quite the same shape. http://d-vers.com/apothecary-covered-jars-pair-ceramic-french-19th-century-p-795.html

I collect medical bottles and people in those circles would go nuts for those. I am drooling a bit on my keyboard now...

tie.dye.cat, Lucille.b, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Antique apothecary jars. Most people are familiar with the glass ones, which are mostly from the Victorian/late-Georgian era.

I THINK these, being enamel, are probably OLDER. Although I can't remember where I read/heard that. Possibly an episode of AR.

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi'
    Be careful,I remember seeing and receiving "replicates" of antique jars like these back in the 60s and 70s. Being in the medical field a lot of drug companies had thousands of these type made for them. They were "giveaways" for promoting their companies.
    greg

Lucille.b, buyingtime777 and judy like this.
  10. Lucille.b

We'll see if they are still there. I did feel like I had seen replicas at some point in the past, that was nagging at me. Not impossible its something like that, so will look for clues if they are still on the shelf.

Maybe fate will decide. I think the interest in these are as decorative items these days, and they aren't in great shape so might be a problem -- but I'll definitely take a look if they are still there and try to make a good decision.

Appreciate the extra eyes on this. Thank you.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted