Featured Any info on this inkwell?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Someone, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Someone

Someone New Member

Had this inkwell for ages. Anyone know anything about it? Unable to find any information on it. Lovely design, not sure what it is made out of but it weighs a ton.

Hasn't yet been polished but still looks great.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Album: https://imgur.com/a/Ewqaz

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Need to see its bottom. Posibly ormolu and bronze, looks French.

Zebra, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. Someone

Someone New Member

Thank you, here is the bottom.

[​IMG]

judy, kyratango and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ah. I see Phillips head screw, hm? It's a very good repro.

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. Someone

Someone New Member

Ah didn't notice that. Thats a shame.

6. Ownedbybear

Oh, I dunno, depends what you paid. It's a nice piece.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Someone.
    A very nice piece, whether antique or recent. Could the screw be a replacement?

jackolin, Aquitaine, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  8. Someone

Someone New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Taking a close look at the screws there is a faint white mark around the edge of them like they were removed / changed, they also look like they do not belong on the piece so you may be right. I do not have any experience with antiques though so I may be wrong.

9. Ownedbybear

It would be unusual to replace all four. The two outer bolts look newer as well.

judy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Yes, they do look newer. The four screws next to the inkwell holes look slightly older.

judy and kyratango like this.
  11. Someone

Someone New Member

It's been kept untouched for a very long time. Anything that was changed on the piece must have been done before then. I have had it for 5 years and my Nan was the one who gave it to me had it a long time as well but it was never touched or used while in her possession. I did remember her saying that it was actually used for it's purpose so it must be pretty old, she didn't tell me who she got it from. I know it is over 25 years old just from the fact that she still had it in her old house and this was 20 years ago. She gave it to me when she found it after moving. It was stored for the whole time she lived in that house. If the screws are original then it must have been made 1930-1970 I guess as from how long my nan had it. Not to sure why the bolts look new, they have never been touched. Unable to find out any more information on it from my Nan unfortunately :(

Edit: Only just remembered all of this. So hope some of it helps figuring this out :)

cxgirl, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Those screws were invented in the 30s but really didn't hit mass market till after WW2. I'd think your inkwell is 1950s ish. It's the shape of those bolts that looks to be about the same sort of age.

judy likes this.
  13. Someone

Someone New Member

Thank you :)

judy likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Most welcome. It's a nice thing.

judy, kyratango and Someone like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Things often come to you when you read other people's reactions. And yes, it always helps.
    I think Obb and I won't be the only ones on the forum who like it. It is a very nice piece.

16. Someone

Someone New Member

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    From the bottom photos it looks like spleter (white metal) could be newer. It is a nice design and I would give it house room even if it was not an "antique". Also it is an ink stand not an ink well. An ink well is single and holds ink. An ink stand has at least two ink wells and usually a place for a pen.:rolleyes:
    greg

Zebra, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not sure why everyone is seeing reproduction on this. Those are not phillips screws but, rather, double slotted screws. I am seeing quality and signs of honest age. Would think at least early 20th century and could be older. The other example found seems to confirm my observations. Might be made in India for the English market but don't think it is a reproduction.

19. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Is that steel and brass,or just the pictures?

20. Any Jewelry

Doesn't look like it was made in India to me. Looks European made, whether Britain, Ireland, or Continent, I don't know.
    I would have thought antique, with replacement screws and bolts a possibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted