Any info on this necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dave D, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

and P1040941.JPG P1040954.JPG P1040953.JPG P1040952.JPG P1040949.JPG P1040948.JPG P1040937.JPG e. The stones {diamonds?} are all flat on the top.
    Can you tell me anything about it?
    Thanks for all replies!

ulilwitch likes this.
  2. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

Don't know what happened to my text up there.
    There are no markings or numbers that I can see. Perhaps this is diamonds and pearls but I probably need a gemologist to tell me that. Any guesses on the age?
    Thanks for all replies!

judy likes this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The clasp looks a bit rusty in places so not a precious metal and the stones look glued in plus the coating has worn off the pearls exposing the glass underneath so it looks to me like an inexpensive faux pearl costume necklace. You can tell if pearls are faux if you rub them on a tooth, gritty means real pearls and slippery means not real pearls.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From your photographs, it appears some of the coating has come off the pearls which would lead one to believe it's costume jewelry. I'd think 1950s but as a staple in a lady's wardrobe for many years could be a bit earlier or a bit later.

Debora

5. Dave D

Dave D Active Member

Thanks for your input Houseful and Debora. I think I'll take your word for it that the pearls are fake. Not sure I want to introduce them to the inside of my mouth right now.
    Which might lead one to conclude that the "diamonds" are fake too. What do you think they might be? Glass?

Houseful likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If they're not real pearls, very unlikely to be real diamonds. And as noted above, they're glued in. Also, necklace not marked.

Debora

Lucille.b, Houseful, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's not good.....

Any Jewelry, Houseful and popsycat like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree with all of the above.
    The metal looks like base metal, not silver, and certainly not gold or platinum.:(

[​IMG]

judy and kyratango like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

You can see finish loss on the beads on near the clasp (photo above), a few are even translucent, so must be coated glass, which was commonly done to mimic pearls. Lots of these costume pearl necklaces, were very popular at the time.

Agree with the dating to 1950s or so.

judy likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree on 1950s. Typical of the period.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted