Featured Any info on this owl fetish would be greatly appreciated. Ty!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Jun 1, 2023.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_5888.jpeg IMG_6003.jpeg IMG_6002.jpeg IMG_6004.jpeg IMG_6005.jpeg IMG_6006.jpeg
    Hello,
    Each owl is individually carved with slight variances. The necklace is approximately 29”. This is string on a cord or string. Not sure what type of bone the owls are I could not find another like it. The only other that I see says Zuni or Navajo, possibly from the 90’s and bone. There are two silver pearls on the top by the clasp. It’s genuine heishi shell. What do you think on age? TYIA

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find........unusual !!!
    I like it for native made...... circa 1960's give or take....

the dating is due to the hardware and really small heist...

I may be off by a decade......;):wacky::wacky:

pearlsnblume and gauntlettgems like this.
  3. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

Thats so cute! I would wear it day and night.
    The owl has long been a symbol of wisdom here in Europe (company of Greec Godess Athena). Also a symbol of night and death in Egypt.
    No other info on it though, sorry

gauntlettgems likes this.
  4. gauntlettgems

Wow! Ok, I didn’t think it was that old. Maybe that’s why I can’t find another. The heishi are super teeny

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I would seriously doubt that this is Navajo, since traditional Navajo belief is that the owl is a symbol of death, and is to be avoided.

The idea of putting a necklace of owls around one's neck would be unthinkable, and most likely a Navajo jewelry maker would avoid any association with owls (unless he/she was involved with witchcraft.)

The Zuni, on the other hand, view owls differently, and see them as protectors of the home, clairvoyant, and a symbol of wisdom and truth. The Zuni are known for their pottery owls, as well as owl fetishes, but I can't tell if this was, in fact, Zuni-made. Only that it most likely isn't Navajo!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@gauntlettgems, your 4th & 6th images down....if you're trying to show marks, can you back away and try for clearer images.....they're too blurry to see! Thanks!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. gauntlettgems

@Taupou Thank you for the information. I didn’t know any of that about the owl being a symbol of death. Very interesting. I did just find a similar, but nowhere near exact, necklace that is Zuni. I probably will never figure out affiliation but it’s not a big deal to me. For some reason I thought the silver pearls were associated with Navajo

There are no markings on the ends @Aquitaine Judt a few normal little etches or whatever you call those. I can still add more pics though if need be

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  8. gauntlettgems

IMG_6029.jpeg
    I don’t think these are maker’s marks or anything of that nature.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted