Featured Any info on Thrift Store Find - Art Deco(?) Lady w/Ring Bronze(?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 7, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this today at a friend's thrift store - I saw it as it came of the truck that picks up donations & when I asked my friend how much, he said $100; and I bought it w/o even trying to get a better price.

I did a reverse image search & found some bronzes of the lady dancing with the ring, but they all had her standing up - couldn't find any exactly like mine.

What do I have? Is it art deco or art nouveau (see the screw holding ring to the lady in next to last photo - maybe helps date it?)

Is it bronze? Stone?
    Base is heavy & some kind of stone/marble?

Was $100 a good price?

Any information/thoughts would be appreciated - I think I did good (but I've been wrong before!)

Thank you!

ART STATUE ART DECO BRONZE LADY WITH RING 1AA.JPG ART STATUE ART DECO BRONZE LADY WITH RING 2AA.JPG ART STATUE ART DECO BRONZE LADY WITH RING 4AA.JPG ART STATUE ART DECO BRONZE LADY WITH RING 4AAA.JPG

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. journeymagazine

Born2it, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

You did good!

Born2it, Gus Tuason, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

I looked it over & found this!
    PS - That looks like the word 'Bronze' next to his signature - is that normal?

ART STATUE ART DECO BRONZE LADY WITH RING 7AA.JPG ART STATUE ART DECO BRONZE LADY WITH RING 7AAA.JPG

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

"Patinated bronze sculpture of a hoop dancer.
    Signed Grisard in the bronze.
    Excellent condition. Genuine patina.
    Marble base.
    26.5cm ( 10.4 in.) high.
    23cm (9 in. ) wide." $1764. USD !!! Is yours the same size????
    YA, I'd say you 'done good'!! (Copper ring's a bit 'out of round though...)

Figtree3, Born2it, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Great find Kid !

Born2it and judy like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Thank You!

9. bosko69

CardCbnt1.jpg Sometimes you just whip-out the cash and run !
    We went to a Thrift Store once & they'd just brought a 4 tier oak stacking antique library card catalog.It had numerous small drawers,each tier had bigger drawers ending at a base of sliding file shelves (see Pic).I saw the price on the piece,sat on it's protruding desk section,and asked my wife to 'please immediately go up to the cashier and pay her'. I kept sitting there until we had the receipt,there was a 'Sold' sign on it,and they moved it to the Back Room.
    The price ? -$40.00
    PS-It's become our 'Wine Cellar' with room for everything else.

10. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

I've been away from this site for awhile. What a treat for this to be the first thread I looked at. YES!!!!!

Figtree3, Born2it, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  11. journeymagazine

I'd have sat on it too until I had a receipt & a sold sign on it - what a beautiful piece!

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The card catalog and the hoop lady were both "Here, take my money" pieces if ever there was.

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and Born2it like this.
  13. bosko69

Wise Pickers-we've all learned in the college o' hard knocks-its called 'wisdom'. wish i would've been born with it.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Lots of money gets spent on "the price of my education" pieces too.(rolleyes) I blew $50 a decade ago on a Weller vase probably now worth half that. Retail. Even at the time I knew better. It's still here reminding me not to make too many dumb expensive mistakes.

smallaxe likes this.
  15. bosko69

Fun stories,more cheerful than all my purchase screw-ups.

Draft saved Draft deleted