Any information about this game(?) table would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by missavl, Oct 23, 2014.

1. missavl

missavl New Member

My aunt bought this table roughly 25 years ago. She believes it is from the turn of the century. When she bought it, it was painted black with gold trim and an Asian theme to it. She isn't into oriental antiques so she stripped the paint and refinished it. It came with 4 chairs that were stuffed with horse hair, she reupholstered the chairs, but kept the horse hair in the seats. Anyway she admitted recently, that even though she refers to it as a "game table" she isn't 100% sure what the pull outs are for. She said she maybe they use to be draws missing their bottoms, but the pull outs come out on each side and each pulls out to a full half a length of the table ( For those curious the openings on either end open up 17" long and 20" wide.), which she thinks is too far for a drawer. She also isn't really sure where it was from, even though she found the paint job to be of an oriental design she couldn't be 100% sure that it was from Asia. I would really appreciate any feedback and gladly welcome any additional questions. If needed I could take more photos if it would help with identifying it.
    Oh, the table is about 46"L x 30"W x 28"H http://imgur.com/a/Rf9uN (<-- photos here)

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I would describe it as a draw leaf table, it extended so extra leaf`s could be put in place to give the table greater surface area.

3. missavl

missavl New Member

Forgive me if I sound stupid, I'm not overly knowledgeable on furniture. But how would the leaf stay put? Is there a part missing, or were there certain tables that you just sat the leaf on the extension? I've only seen a few types, the ones you pull apart and place a leaf in the middle, the kind that opened in the center and a leaf pops up from under, and the drop leaf where they pull up the sides.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The extensions stayed in place by several methods, sometimes, pegs or wedges and others had wood blocks that slotted together.
    Yours seems to be missing the leafs

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It does appear to be a multileaf extending table, possibly early 19th. C. that has had the original top replaced. If the original had been intended to be painted, it would not have book-matched veneers on the replacement (?) top.

It looks good as it is, I think the extending supports will just have to remain as curios. It would cost more than the price of a multileaf table in the current furniture marker to restore it.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd leave it alone too. The wood for the leaves was probably always separate, stored away somewhere until needed. The paint was probably someone's attempt to make the table look like the Japanese-influenced pieces that were popular in the 1870s/1880s, if the table is older.

Draft saved Draft deleted