Any information on Chicago artist named Elrich?

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Dec 15, 2020.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

So I picked up this great Modernist oil on masonite and I thought it was signed O/Elrich but the only artist I am finding is a Chicago artist by the name W. Elrich. With a magnifying glass, it could be a W. I have not found any other original works online - just a lot of lithographs of Chicago landmarks. All from the 70's.
    I really like it and the previous owner was a man in the 90's with Parkinson's. He doesn't remember where he got it but his house was full of MC and MCM furniture and art. Work is 7" x 13".
    Thanks for looking! IMG_0568.JPEG IMG_0570.JPEG IMG_0572.JPEG IMG_0573.JPEG IMG_0574.JPEG

ulilwitch and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Signature looks like Velich to me.
    Searching google most are attributed to George Velich.

ulilwitch, laura9797 and i need help like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Looks like O/Elich.
    Mikey

ulilwitch and laura9797 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like Velich to my eye too.

Debora

5. emily A

emily A New Member

Most definitely George Velich

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Paintings attributed to George Velich are in a wide variety of styles and there does seem to be a variation in signature. But it appears he did do abstract works on board.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

laura9797 likes this.
  7. laura9797

Thank so much! I swore I googled Velich and got zero hits!!!!

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I am completely unable to SEE the artist's original signature on the red piece, maybe next time take a photo of the signature separately too please, thanks Laura.

Fid and Lucille.b like this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of Chicago skyline paintings by a M Elich. I think this is him/her.

antidiem likes this.
  10. laura9797

Here you go. velich.jpg

11. antidiem

Thank you for posting the signature, @laura9797 , it looks like "[some letter] /Elich" to me, but a search on cityscapes (for any painter named Elich) did not bring up examples that look close to yours, from my searches.

The Chicago skyline paintings @916Bulldogs123 mentioned with M/Elich do not look anything like your modernistic painting, which also does not look like a 'cityscape' to me, but rather a painting made to make a statement about "modern art" done in the 1960s or 1970s.

Please tag me if you find a signature example OR a cityscape done by any Elich that modernistic and like this one, I could only find much more realistic cityscapes done by M.Elich. I don't believe the two painters are the same, and was unable to find a signature example.

12. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Yeah, the signature has already been solved, George Velich. There’s more than one online that have matching signatures and provenance with the likes of The Vincent Price collection and others with labels.

laura9797 and antidiem like this.
  13. antidiem

Thanks, Anundverkaufen. lol re the "provenance with the likes of..." Indeed.
    And I do believe those 2 signatures are a match, just some years off.

laura9797 likes this.
  14. Thefoxteam

Thefoxteam New Member

It is most likely George Elich. We have three of his paintings, scenes from Chicago. The signature is very similar

laura9797, antidiem and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted