Any information on unusual penny gum machine?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 16, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this a few days ago while treasure hunting a local thrift store. What caught my eye (no not the horrific paint job!) was the very large... funnel? inside the glass top.
    I'm thinking it was for big gum balls(?) - but it looks like it's facing the wrong way to do anything? What is that thing & what was it for?
    The glass top seems larger than most + the flap or "door" that covers the hole where your prize comes out looks larger than normal too (it kinda looks like a cowbell was cut in half & 1 side was used for the flap!)
    The machine also has a metal case or base on the bottom that looks like maybe this was attached to some type of fixture?
    How old / what time period is this from?
    Any suggestions on getting that terrible paint job off - or is it better to just repaint it a single color?
    As always thank you - I appreciate any help!

COLLECTIBLE GUM BALL MACHINE PENNY GUMBALL 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE GUM BALL MACHINE PENNY GUMBALL 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE GUM BALL MACHINE PENNY GUMBALL 5BAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE GUM BALL MACHINE PENNY GUMBALL 2AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE GUM BALL MACHINE PENNY GUMBALL 3AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE GUM BALL MACHINE PENNY GUMBALL 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE GUM BALL MACHINE PENNY GUMBALL 5AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE GUM BALL MACHINE PENNY GUMBALL 5AAA.JPG

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here is one similar along with a little info on it.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/victor-topper-gumball-view-window-1c-133910646

Victor TOPPER Gumball Machine 1 cent with view window, all original machine. it is in Bill Enes' Silent Salesman Too book on page 192. Bill states " The Topper with the view window was short-lived. Customers would not patronize the machine if the next gumball was not a favorite. The machines were out-lawed as gambling devices because people would bet on the next gumball color."

upload_2021-1-16_7-40-53.png

Lucille.b, Houseful, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

That's it! And with those prices should I paint base a solid color?
    PS - Thank you!

judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  4. milestoneks

milestoneks Active Member

Someone's paint job certainly didn't do the value any good. A new paint job won't help much unless you're having it professionally restored, which would be costly. If it's for resell, I'd let the new owner make that decision. I'd guess yours to be around the 40's. May have sat on a cast iron stand.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SiS, I’d never heard that about them being outlawed!!! Learn something new everyday!!!1

Draft saved Draft deleted