Any Minnesota experts? Stereoscope card, what waterfall?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Jan 23, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this 1870s stereoscope card, the larger size one. From Minnesota, I can find similar ones online but I am not sure what waterfall this is. Anyone know?
    20200123_204117_resized.jpg 20200123_204134_resized.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Going by the list on the back it looks like it could be Minniehaha falls.

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Not absolutely positive but I'm going to guess this would be the middle falls of Gooseberry Falls State Park (Two Harbors, MN). The walking bridge would be the point where you could see both the middle & the lower falls at the same time.

My doubts come in from the difference in what the vertical drop seems to be, but the amount of water flow might account for some of the deception.

Because of its proximity to the road, it is probably the best known of the waterfalls on North Shore Drive.

This more modern photo shows the middle & the lower falls and the modern highway. All part of the very scenic North Shore Drive, along the edge of Lake Superior.

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy and spartcom5 like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I was so convinced that it would be a falls from the North Shore Drive. . .I'll leave the picture so people can appreciate the beauty, even tho I'm way off course on my guess. SIS & Terry know best. :D

6. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Minnehaha Falls appears to be right on! Thanks guys!

7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Falls_of_Minne-ha-ha_and_rustic_bridge_Circa_1865.jpg Minnehaha Falls is the most iconic of water features in Minnesota, thanks to Longfellow's poem Every school kid knows it and a lot of local families have at least one image of it kicking around the place somewhere. Here's a similar stereoscope card.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted