Any more info on this Girrard Perregaux watch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jackie Williams, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Jackie Williams

Jackie Williams New Member

Hello all! I recently came into possession of this lovely watch from my mother-in-law's estate. I know nothing about it's history (other than it has a ridiculously small wrist size). It is gorgeous and seems to be made of white gold. I'm wondering if there is more value scrapping the gold or selling the watch. I can't find a time frame for this one. I know some of these watches are worth a ton and some aren't worth much. Any insights from this wise crowd? Thank you so much! IMG_1115.jpg IMG_1116.jpg IMG_1118.jpg

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

GP is a decent quality and quite well known maker but as a tiny lady's watch it is virtually unsalable as a watch. If it is gold then scrap it. Sad to say, but that is the market. Women do not, in general collect watches, and men only collect men's watches.
    Date could be 60s or 70s as a guess, and it would probably be called a cocktail watch; cocktails may be having a comeback but really tiny watches are not.
    I have a suspiscion that men designed these watches and men bought them for women as a symbol of how utterly unimportant it was for the little woman to know what time it was at all.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And no seconds hands, because why would we want to check things anyway, with our chicken brains.:chicken:

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

check the diamonds , and pop off the back to look for markings....
    if gold....I'd scrap it...but keep the watch & the stones.

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Jackie. Does it still run & keep running? If so, does it keep time fairly well? These tiny ones are never precision chronometers.
    How small is 'ridiculously' small? This may actually be the main limitation on interest it could attract. (I've had some good deals on some good watches because my wrists are reasonably small.) Looks like bracelet could be shortened but not lengthened.

Don't think of it as some old watch: it's retro fashion & eco-friendly!

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If you want to be noted for retro fashion and eco friendly, just go out in a flour sack and straw shoes.

Fid, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:hilarious:Not in winter!;):facepalm:

komokwa, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted