Any of these worth anything?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by seresa, Apr 2, 2018.

1. seresa

seresa New Member

I'm going to a estate sale tomorrow and these are some of the items to be sold. These are the only pictures provided so sorry I don't have more. The chair looks like chippeandale and I found something similar here to be worth a lot of money: https://www.barnebys.com/realizedpr...ndale-elaborately-carved-mahogany-side-chair/

The hutch on picture 5 also looks like chippendeale, do you recognize any of these as valuable and worthy of buying? Do you know the names of the makers of these items?
    1-t(76).jpg 1-t(85).jpg 1-t(70).jpg 1-t(9).jpg 1-t(75).jpg 1-t(1).jpg 1-t(3).jpg 1-t(2).jpg 1-t(8).jpg 1-t(4).jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a very broad question. Things can look like something and be something, but they can also look like something and be nothing. People might be able to look at these pictures and say its this style or that style, but that's no guarantee as to when a thing was made or its quality. Maybe some of the furniture people could give some pointers on what to look for in terms of construction, but I doubt anyone could go much further than that.

Figtree3 and James Conrad like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What More said ! Plus,in my opinion,this looks like it would be a very high end sale,and unless you knew exactly what you were looking at youd spend a lot of money for something that may very well be a reproduction.Caveat Emptor !

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's impossible to authenticate old furniture with photographs (professional photo's included) alone, that requires an in person examination. I have often wondered why that is and, it could be that most furniture is just to large for a camera to give the kind of detail that is needed.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with all of the above.

Side note: To my eye, with limited photos, the chair in the linked photo looks quite a bit different than the Chippendale one in the auction.

If it was me going to the auction, I'd proceed with the advice above.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted