Featured Any of you coin collectors got a few extra bucks?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, May 22, 2017.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I usually don't have 86,000 - 90,000$ laying around. :)

Joshua Brown and cxgirl like this.
  3. bercrystal

I usually don't have 86,000 - 90,000$ laying around. :)

Check the duck shed, they might have a stash hid in one of the corners. ;):playful::p:D:D

If this coin sells for that kind of money I do believe we will have to let Bill sit down for a minute or two. I know I would have to if I just made $17K in the matter of a few minutes. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Wow! How do you advertise something like that to make sure it realizes what it should?

Edit: $90,000 doesn't sound unreasonable for such a rare coin.

Joshua Brown and Melissa Brown like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

How much do you think the John Stobart prints will realize?

Joshua Brown likes this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Sounds like it will be exciting, let us know what it sells for:)

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think I must have left my money in my other pants.

8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

PCGS price guide states the value at AU50 being 80,000$ - with an auction and bidders plus the buyers premium may very well get to 90,000$
    In an auction you never know but I find coins in auctions somehow always get over bid!!

cxgirl likes this.
  9. bercrystal

We have quite a few coin collectors that frequent this auction, but I am not real sure if any of them will have the cahoonas to pay that much money for a coin. :eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully for the seller someone will find it on Auction Zip while trolling around looking for coin auctions. :greedy::greedy::greedy:

10. bercrystal

Well y'all missed out on a deal. ;):wideyed::p

It sold for a mere $83K. :eek::eek::eek::eek::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::wacky::wacky::wacky::wacky::D:D

It must be nice to make $20,750.00 for 1 item. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

The buyer told Bill he will be back on Tuesday with a cashier's check & he told someone he already has the buyer lined up. Others told him that they had buyers lined up for $100K & $110K. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

I did get to hold the plastic case for about 10 seconds after the auction was done, but Bill was right there & he put it back into his pocket immediately afterward. In fact it has not left his possession since the lady brought it in with some other gold coins & some sterling pieces except for when it was sent off to be graded.

Supposedly it is on the PCGS website now. According to what Bill was told this coin had a faint line somewhere & every other coin from that year has the same mark so it had to be in the mold itself, but that line authenticated the coin.

He also almost sold it with the other gold coins a few weeks back. Some folks were telling him it was counterfeit. However, one of the honest guys did some research on his own & told Bill he really thought it was the real deal. He suggested he hold it back & to get some other coin experts to take a look before he sold it. When he took it to the others they all said it was the real deal, but in order to get the big bucks he would need to have it authenticated & graded.

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Amazing, well done! Thanks for sharing! :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Be STILL, my heart...............and wallet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

14. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

Wow! Whoa! Fantastic! Congratulations!

What a great story :)

15. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

10% buyers premium - 8.3 thousand added to the price - so there ya go - 91,300. Coin auctions end up so high because of the BP - I really don't know why people send to auction - the seller also has to pay a fee to enter it into auction.

Joe2007 likes this.
  16. bercrystal

Rayo - the woman that consigned the coin had no clue that any of the coins she brought in were of any value. She was preparing to sell a multi-generational house & was going to consign items to be sold. When Bill went out to see what she had she told him there were "some coins & sterling" in the house. She was going to consign the furniture, but she wasn't going to empty the place out until it sold. He strongly suggested she get all of the sterling, coins & all other small items of value out of the house before putting it on the market.

So the next day she showed up at the auction house with a bag of silver & gold coins along with the sterling. We sold everything but this coin a few weeks back & had Tom not spoke up he would have sold this one also. I think there was a total of 5 gold coins that he sold as buyer's choice. I can't remember what they sold for, but I do not think it was anything truly extraordinary & I think they went to one of our regulars.

So bottom line, she made a great deal more that she ever thought she would.

Joe2007 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted