Featured Any of you know more than me?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by JJ70, Jul 31, 2021.

1. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

6D618048-5E68-4A8A-8155-46A9C1F1DDAC.jpeg D29E0E3D-95B7-42DA-8988-3408ECBE8CFB.jpeg Came across this piece. I’m usually pretty good with antiques. I know it’s the Buddhist deity (religious point is arguable), Tara with the lilies.
    I know it’s vey old and probably a bronze.
    Any other information would be great.
    Carl

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2021
    judy, LauraGarnet02 and bercrystal like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Carl!

Maybe @Any Jewelry can help you, when she comes online.

judy, LauraGarnet02 and JJ70 like this.
  3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

It’s a Hindu figure of Shiva as a yogi in sukhasanamurti posture or pose.

Potteryplease, aaroncab, judy and 6 others like this.
  4. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

Pretty sure it’s Tara and not Shiva. (Two arms and the lilies)
    Apart from that, I have very little clue about this beautiful little piece.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

Bump, I really have little little idea about this beautiful piece, have I posted in the right place?

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd stand him/her up-right & lighten her a bit for better viewing:

1a.jpg

7. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

Lol, thank you, not sure how the original came out sideways?
    But I am seriously interested in knowing more about her, I’m really puzzled with this one.
    Maybe I’ve not posted in the best chat room?
    Thanks again

KSW likes this.
  8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

There is a glitch with photos being sideways due to the phone you are using. Nobody has figured out why this happens.

I think the forum it is in isn't a problem. If you really want to change forums you'll have to ask a mod to do it for you. Double postings are annoying & hard to follow IMHO.

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is Tara, probably Green Tara, often represented with her right leg somewhat extended in preparation for action, and her left leg tucked up in the posture of meditation. "Her left hand, in the gesture of granting refuge, holds the stem of a blue lotus that floats over her left shoulder as a symbol of purity and power. With her right hand she makes the boon-granting gesture."
    https://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/tara/

On what basis do you think it is "very old"?

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.
    My basis on thinking it’s very old is mainly based on the ageing of the bronze (this is hard to see in the picture)
    Looking at the base the casting appears much older than more recent bronzes (I’m no expert on bronze casting, like I say this piece has me somewhat puzzled?)

KSW likes this.
  11. 2manybooks

The metal looks more like brass (an alloy of copper and zinc) than bronze (an alloy of copper and tin), but it may be a mixture. Without an analysis it is difficult to be sure.

It looks like there used to be a piece of metal covering the open base of the figure, originally held in place by those tabs. If so, this may have created a "microclimate" in the base that would affect the appearance of the surface.

I don't believe it is easy to date such figures, as the iconography is conservative, they have been made in the same way for centuries, and continue to be made today.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

Thank you, couldn’t have asked for a better reply. I love this piece, I live in England in a town with a huge Nepalese culture, Nepalese culture has a big history in my family.
    I do deal but also collect and love this little lady.
    Thanks again, really impressed with this forum
    Carl x

Any Jewelry, Happy! and 2manybooks like this.
  13. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

14. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

C943E0BD-76E3-4956-8559-6BE5E664F801.jpeg Another on the ‘very old bit’ I’ve found a 30 year old version (thanks to your help), I didn’t know anything about a green and white Tara till your reply, I have a feeling she may be white Tara (from your post and not green, I hope this is not inappropriate, but that judgement is made on the the development of her breasts (large not juvenile))

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2021
  15. 2manybooks

I will tag @Any Jewelry again. She is very knowledgeable about religious iconography.

Any Jewelry and JJ70 like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would have to see a closeup of the lotuses to see if she is the Green or the White Tara. From what I can see of the slightly blurry photo, she is the Green Tara. There are many more Taras, btw, the number depends on the tradition or school.

The metal is often called bronze, but as @2manybooks said, it is actually a brass-like alloy. That goes for most Asian 'bronzes', the Asian alloy classifications are different from the European ones, and also different within Asia.
    Sacred 'bronzes' are often alloys of seven different metals, or metals from seven different sources.
    Exactly.:) Inside a genuine statue would be a relic like a piece of cloth or bone, or a mantra or other sacred text. The statue would be closed with a metal plate, often with a Vajra or Vishvavajra symbol.
    Photos and explanations of the Vajra and Vishvavajra are in this thread:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/rare-gold-antique-what-it’s-meanings-for-gestures-and-emblem.40795/page-3#post-882412

Below is a small Buddha statue with the base plate still in situ, and an open-pronged Vishvavajra symbol:

[​IMG]

In this case the edges of the plate are folded over the base. I also have statues where the base plate sits a bit inside the base and is held in place by thin cut-out 'claws', so different again from the tabs on yours.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    2manybooks and i need help like this.
  17. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

18. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

1F6EE069-725E-4CCE-973D-9D38F25BC632.jpeg B8A06175-45E7-4B0A-BC56-C8F57190C60A.jpeg 085E8811-E15E-4A04-A18A-86B3970D73E7.jpeg Thank you! An informative and detailed reply, I hope I can help the forum back (I do have some knowledge, but I don’t know why this little lady intrigues me so much) I’ll try to post clearer pictures. Impressed Thank you so much again
    Carl

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Both lotus flowers are open, so I assume she is a White Tara. The Green Tara has at least one lotus bud (youth) instead of a fully blooming flower.
    The physique of the upper body depends on the artistic school, the flower v. bud is generally a more dependable way of telling.
    Until you come across a maker who doesn't follow the rules....;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    2manybooks and i need help like this.
  20. JJ70

JJ70 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted