Featured Any other studio pottery fans on here ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by persona-non-gratin, Nov 5, 2015.

1. persona-non-gratin

persona-non-gratin Well-Known Member

2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Wow, what dreams are made of.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

BEAUTIFUL MCM COLLECTION!
    I love pottery of this era.
    Thank you so much Persona!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

Very cool. A relatively unknown collectible in the 1970s has turned into a fortune-making opportunity for the collectors. A lesson to be learned here I think - about the fact there are still great collectibles out there. Reminds me of the art collectors after the turn of the 20th century that collected the God-awful (it was thought) Impressionists paintings, now known to be worth millions.

KingofThings, antidiem and Pat P like this.
  5. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

I am amazed. Wouldn't that have been wonderful to be able to see in person. Loved the comment about knowing how Howard Carter felt when he looked into Tut's tomb. Thank you for sharing.

antidiem likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I only HOPE my hoard turns out so valuable after I shuffle off this mortal coil ! Gorgeous stuff.

KingofThings and antidiem like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And here I get excited by finding ten bucks in gold for a dollar. Yike. I wonder who bought it all.

KingofThings, antidiem and Pat P like this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They say that studio pottery is the next great thing in pottery collecting. This shows that that time is at hand. However, studio potters were not nearly as prolific as the factories. I would think the truly great pieces are few and far between. I wish I knew more about it. I know some. I keep hoping to find a Cabat. I do buy Marshall Studios when I can. It doesn't have nearly the value that some of the others have. Have to learn more and keep searching.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I have been studying/collecting studio pottery for awhile now, it hard though, because there are not a lot of books or websites on it. I have an okay collection mostly CA potters.

11. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Many moons ago I dated this woman. Her brother was a potter and he would occasionally sell of some of his pieces. I had 3 or 4. I know 2 of them were broken, and 1 turned up missing. I still have one small piece of his. I really didnt put much thought into it until a couple of months ago I saw his name online somewhere. It turns out he has done very well for himself. His work with negative space is incredible. I wish I had bought a hundred of his pieces LOL

https://www.google.ca/search?q=greg...ndow=1&safe=off&tbm=isch&q=greg+payce+pottery

komokwa and trip98 like this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Desperate, those are wonderful. Very creative and well-executed.

13. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Awesome.
    I've seen some insane prices for mid century pots at the big houses. Christie's in particular. Lots of 5 figure stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted