Featured Any Samurai fans/collectors? Thrift find - vintage(?), signed, Samurai(?) Kendo(?) armor/protection

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 13, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This came into my friend's thrift shop a couple of days ago - I saw the bag coming off the truck & my first thought was a bowling bowl; boy was I glad I was wrong!
    Opening it & glancing in, I immediately said "I'll take it"
    Inside there was a almost complete (except for 1 glove) Japanese samurai(?) or kendo(?) set! I thought it was for practice protection, but now am wondering if it might be a custom armor set because every piece has the same tag stitched onto it - it looks like a letter Y inside a letter H, with Japanese characters around it.
    Plus, the chest plate(?) has some gold painted embellishments on it and is signed(?) in 3 different places on the inside (left side, right side & dead center). I haven't been able to find another with anythng painted on the front.
    What does the writing say on the 3 places of the chest plate?
    What company has the Y inside a H logo and made this?
    Finally, any idea how old this set is?

As always I appreciate your help - I immediately thought of you guys when I found this!

JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 1AA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 2CAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 2DAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 2EAA.jpg
    JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 3AAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 3DAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 4AAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 4AAAz.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 4BAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 4DAA.jpg

Boland, Bronwen, wlwhittier and 3 others like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Here is the inside with the 3 signatures(?) + the glove (which has the same tag sewn onto it)

JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 4EAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 5AAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 5CAAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 5GAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 9BAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 9DAA.jpg

Boland, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is kendo gear. Although the origin of kendo stems from samurai training, this kit is modern.
    The tag is the manufacturer's tag.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    Boland, Bakersgma, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks unused.

Boland and Figtree3 like this.
  6. journeymagazine

I looked at a few chest protectors/ breast plates, but none had any design on the front or words/ characters on the inside - have you seen a signed/painted chest piece?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Samurai Bowling League ? It's well made.

journeymagazine likes this.
  8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Nice haul, even if new!

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it, but it's neat.

10. journeymagazine

lol

11. journeymagazine

I found at least 1 Kendo forum site so I'm going to see if someone there knows name or what it says inside breast plate ' maybe done by a known maker (fingers crossed!)
    Thanks all!

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Beautifully made and surely has much more value than your cost. Good score!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

Cost was $100 - so fingers crossed!

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm sure it's worth a lot more than that. The problem is that the market will be small.

15. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I'd go for $3-$400/Best Offer-brand new it's worth way more.

16. journeymagazine

Thank you all; I appreciate all the help! - still hoping someone will know who artist/breast plate maker is; I'm wondering why he wrote on the left, right & center because it's too much to just ne a signature - maybe a Japanese warrior's chant or prayer?

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. journeymagazine

Right? Look at the beautiful;...embroidery(?) at the top of the breast plate/chest protector!

J Dagger likes this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe you could check to see if there's a kendo dojo in the area. They'll likely have a supply shop, or know where one is. They might even want to buy.

Figtree3 and journeymagazine like this.
  19. journeymagazine

Great idea- thank you!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  20. journeymagazine

I just found these photos on my phone that I took the day I bought this to send to friend - in the sunlight the 'black' chest protector is green - ish?

JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 8AAA.jpg JAPANESE KENDO BOGU ARMOR SET 8BAA.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted