Featured Any suggestions on how to remove hot glued trim on upholstery?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I need to remove the glued on trim from a bench that I need to reupholster. I would like to be able to reuse it, or is that just wishful thinking? Any suggestions?

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Whoops
    I didn't see the word trim.

I only saw glue.
    Sorry, I was trying to make a funny.

3. clutteredcloset49

Do you have a picture or what you are dealing with?

4. Mill Cove Treasures

5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Hot glue can be removed with by dabbing it with a cloth dipped in lighter fluid. It doesn't take much. It turns the glue to a crumbly mess that you can brush or pick off.

Probably best to be used outside, if you are sensitive to fumes. I've only used it on small areas, like where i got a smear of hot glue on my clothes, but it is the only thing I've ever found that works.

6. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Taupou. It sounds a little dangerous. :nailbiting:

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

After seeing the photo, I'd take an eyedropper of lighter fluid, and try a few drops on the edge of the braid. It should sink in and the braid will come off easily, as long as it isn't stitched on as well.

8. Mill Cove Treasures

I just found an article on Google for removing glue from cloth. It said to use a piece of cloth between the item and the iron and steam for 10 to 20 seconds to soften the glue. I'll give that a try and let you know how it works.

9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I admit I was skeptical when I first heard about it, not ever having been around lighter fluid, but I've used the technique for years, and never had a problem with it. You should be able to re-use the trim.

I think this was first mentioned on one of the old eBay boards.

I've tried the iron and steam thing. It will work on some types of glue, but not with hot glue.

10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

If the hot glue gets hot enough, it will often return to a pliable state, and can be peeled off. The problem is, it will likely smear where you don't want it, it will quickly dry, and the glue will still be there.

I just got the bottle I use. Ronsonol Lighter Fuel, in a yellow plastic bottle. It actually has a tiny tip that folds down into the cap, which would eliminate the need for an eye dropper.

The label states "Excellent for removing: labels, grease, tar, oil stains." It does have the expected warning that it is flammable, and not to drink it.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@Taupou , do you think that could work on a wooden keris hilt that is glued to the iron thorn/peksi of the keris? Putting a hot iron on the blade for a while usually works, but not on this one.
    It is a beautiful and rare Sundanese keris (West Java), but the hilt is facing the wrong way. It deserves to be restored to its former harmony.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  12. Mill Cove Treasures

I just did a section with the iron and it seems to be working just fine. After I lifted it off, I held it up for a minute to let the glue harden again so it wouldn't reattach to the material.

Bakersgma, KingofThings and judy like this.
  13. Mill Cove Treasures

I'll have to pick up a bottle of that Ronsonol Lighter Fuel and try it.

Ghopper1924, KingofThings and judy like this.
  14. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  15. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I don't think it would hurt to try, but I doubt if it will work. It depends entirely on the glue. Regular hot glue, from glue sticks, responds to the lighter fuel, but most glues don't.

Hot glue probably wasn't used in this case. It usually is more associated with craft items, and would be an unlikely choice for a rare or expensive item.

16. Mill Cove Treasures

I removed the entire length without damaging it. There was some residue left on the back so I pressed it again with a few pieces of paper underneath and it removed most of the residue. When I buy the lighter fuel, I will try that on the few stubborn spots that are still left. Thank you for the help! :happy:

17. Mill Cove Treasures

Any jewelry, try some acetone on a q-tip. I've used it when I restored some older frames. It takes some patience but it did work well.

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks Taupou, I'll give it a try.
    You'd be surprised at what I find inside keris hilts, or as repair to the sheath.
    Glue to secure a hilt is a big no-no anyway. Traditionally you'd wrap part of a sarong used for ceremonial purposes around the thorn and press the hilt onto it. Pieces of cloth with significant colours, and human hair would also be used. A good modern solution, if you don't know what is appropriate for a particular keris, is white cloth or ribbon, the colour of spiritual purity. But I have even found plastic from garbage bags. Needless to say, those are the first to be removed.
    Thanks Mill Cove. Acetone might work, but a q-tip won't reach the glue. Any space between the hilt and the thorn is almost microscopic.
    But if lighter fluid doesn't work, I'll find a way to get acetone on the inside of the hilt.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  19. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I use LF constantly to get labels off.
    I cut off the childproof tab first as it's a PITA. :p
    Then make sure the label is as level as possible.
    Then if, just one item, drip a bit of LF on the label and put the bottom of the bottle over it for 5 minutes or so so it doesn't evaporate fast.
    I have more than one thing going, I do a lot of books this way, I use little bottles and things to cover the labels.
    Then, if left long enough, they just lift off.
    If there is still some glue residue I use LF on soft TP to get that off. ;)
    If I have curved items I lay them in a bunched towel, label up, put LF on it and then use zippy bags laid flat over them with a soft item over that for weight and pressure such as a kitchen towel.
    And the bags can still be used.
    :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Ghopper1924, Any Jewelry and Taupou like this.
  20. clutteredcloset49

I have used lighter fluid for years to take labels off.
    Good to know about the glue. Thanks Taupou.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted