Any thoughts on origin,function, age of these old things?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by trip98, Feb 5, 2016.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Could we know the approximate sizes, please? Also, maybe... what materials do they feel like? I'm guessing (left to right) metal, pottery, leather or metal, and horn/ivory?

3. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

nothing over 8" . From left to right, stone, stone, wood & metal (steel) and bone or ivory.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks! I must admit I'm clueless so far, but the brainiacs will be along soon. Good luck.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The one on the left might be to make nets ,or a weaving tool . The one on the right looks like a parasol handle .

trip98 likes this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

The one in the upper right may be a folding knife, such as a pruning knife or grafting knife, assuming it opens up. Possibly around 30-50 years old. Pretty crudely made, and if the iron is of low quality it can rust very quickly, looking older than it is.
    Lower right looks like it should be a handle for something like a cane or umbrella, but I don't see any place to attach it. It looks more like a resin casting in the photo than carved ivory, and does not seem to have the pores that would indicate bone.....more pics might help.
    I could easily be wrong, there are smarter folks than me around.
    Attached photo is listed on Antiques Navigator as an unmarked Italian pruning knife which sold for over $500; similar, but appears to have a horn, bone, or ivory handle.

pruning knife.jpg

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-...ive-unmarked-folding-pruning-knife-italy.html

trip98 likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I love blades.....

Ritual knife from Tibet.. KARTIKA

I can't tell if yours is more than tourist fare......but the real ones are metal...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trip98 likes this.
  8. komokwa

I've seen the stone before but can't remember it's name...

9. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Great info. The wood & steel piece is knife that opens up. Duh!
    Ritual knife from Tibet.. KARTIKA looks like it, no metal though,
    looks like ivory, but will check with hot pin shortly.
    Another photo coming soon. Here is more that came with this lot.
    DSC_0665.JPG DSC_0666.JPG

10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Jonny, thanks for suggestion for the green stone, searching now...

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi TRIP,
    EEEEEKKKKKKKKK. Stay away from the hot pin. Do not ever do that. If it is celluloid it could flare up and burn you and it is plastic than you leave a tiny hole. Do not destroy any more pieces. Okay, now that I have calmed down, please do not ever use the hot pin to test anything. I have seen so many beautiful pieces ruined by the hot pin attack, please don't.
    greg

12. komokwa

i doubt thats ivory

13. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

okay I won't, done it before in a very discreet area usually in a crease underside etc.

yah, probs some kind of resin....

14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The metal/wood object looks like a straight razor.

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Trip,
    Thank you for resisting. I am so "crazy" about stuff that ends up ruining things. I had a yard sale and had 10 or 12 pieces of silver plate. The sterling was all in a display case. This guy comes up to me with a screwdriver in his hand and said "None of your silver is sterling I checked them all". A little while later I passed all of the silver plate pieces. The dumb SOB had scratched the center of each of them with that dang screwdriver and poured acid on the 6" scratches. Never wiped the acid off and between the cuts and stains all of the pieces were ruined. The most of them were turn of the century.
    greg

16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

17. komokwa

With a couple of these too............:mad::rage::punch::punch::punch:

gregsglass likes this.
  18. trailboss

trailboss New Member

The stone object may be a type of fish hook. Attach string to middle and slip into a bait fish. When a large fish swallows the bait, a pull on the string will turn the rod perpendicular and large fish can be pulled out.

19. komokwa

I think that's what they use hooks for......

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There is no such thing as a "discreet space" when you are using a hot needle. Someone who may be interested in it if it's not ivory will find the damage. I hate that this concept keeps going around. Just because you are looking for something of greater value does not mean you should damage an item of lesser value. There are other ways of determining composition. STOP using a hot needle. I have some very nice, collectible early plastic items including some that were partially ruined by people who didn't know any better. Buyers scrutinize objects carefully. I wouldn't even put the damaged ones on the market, and you can barely see the holes. The fact that I can find them means a buyer will find them. Sad

silverthwait likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted