Featured Any thoughts on this oil painting ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by KevinStandage, Aug 25, 2020.

1. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

Hi,

I'm in the process of clearing my father's house, which was a bit of a dumping ground for previous house clearances after deaths in the family.

I've come across this oil painting, unsigned, and painted on a board as opposed to canvas or solid wood. The frame is original as far as I'm aware. I'm guessing it will date from circa 1920 or thereabouts judging by the dates of other items that we have come across. This has been sitting abandoned in an attic room for the last 45 years at least, I remember seeing it as a young child.

Anyway, I'm interested in any thoughts folks may have on it - in particular what the subject matter is actually depicting.

Thanks for any insights !

Kevin.

cropped IMG20200824130959.jpg painting.jpg

J Dagger, lovewrens, JBo and 7 others like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

3. laura9797

Are you sure it is on board? Looks quite smooth. A board might have been applied to the back for stability.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

It's definitely on a board that flexes a little, about 2-3mm thick

Bronwen likes this.
  5. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

I've since made a few discoveries about this.

It's a copy of “Slave” by Zoé-Laure de Chatillon, née Delaune (1826–1908), a French painter.
    Original was painted in 1871, and was "rediscovered" in Australia in 2005, and subsequently restored in Russia.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

Bronwen likes this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Is it Masonite?

Bronwen likes this.
  8. laura9797

Could it be a print on board? Have you put a loop to it?

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks to be in good condition. Appears to be original frame. Lots of interest in women artists these days. Interestingly, your copy is cropped differently than the original.

Debora

Картина_s.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  10. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

It's definitely paint, in a couple places that has chipped off.

11. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

Thank you for asking this, as yes, it does appear to be something like masonite (after googling it!). Which puts the date of this a little later than I thought, probably the 1930s

sabre123 likes this.
  12. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

I wonder if the copy was made after WW II? Masonite became quite popular then for artists who didn't want to pay for stretched canvases, etc.

The woman in the original has a pleading, resigned expression in her eyes.

In the copy the eyes look defiant, angry, bored too (like modern fashion models!).

I wonder if that was intentional? I like the expression on the original a lot better. Expressions is one of the hardest things to duplicate when painting copies of others' works.

13. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

Yes, I noticed the difference with the eyes. I've found about 6 variants on the internet, here's a couple more

Untitled.jpg 926e2bd8fdda4a9201398c6f1bbd3bd2.jpg

Interesting that my version remains more faithful to the original in terms of the overall scene (Note the fern replacing the wild flowers in the lower image).

So there's been a few attempts at copying the original, I have no idea when that original went "missing" to be rediscovered in Australia in 2005.

14. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

@KevinStandage In the first version above the eyes have a stupid expression, and in the second version they are vengeful, treacherous!

With so many versions of this painting I wonder just how it was determined that the Australian find was The Original.

Could this very painting have been used as a model for students to copy in some museum art class I wonder?

And as a woman I can't help thinking what makes the subject matter so irresistible, a lovely female depicted, complete in jewelry, fine clothing, and makeup, as a "slave", that it became a cult figure to be painted again and again?

Was that really how men of that era liked to view their women? And why would a woman paint another woman like that? Revenge? Okay--call me paranoid for having theories there...

In the famous jingle of a cigarette commercial of the 1960s, You've Come A Long Way, Baby... [VA Sl-i-ms, anyone recall?] (Have we really?)

15. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

I've also come across an engraving, "La Captive" by M.Knoedler dated 1877.

Interesting that the eyes are similar, and that the crop is the same. So it looks likely my painting is a copy from this engraving which I guess was available to purchase for sometime.

debeekkant-lacaptive 002-001.jpg

16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@KevinStandage Of all the versions, I like yours the best, copy or not!

17. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I know right? Me too! The KPM’s are really nice too. This copy is great though.

18. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

I think the original painting was probably dripping with subtext of the time and was quite contentious. It may have had very little to do with how men viewed women so much as how women viewed themselves in France at the time in a male dominated society. I think the image is subtly powerful rather than submissive. Blimey, that’s a bit deep for 1:00 am on a Saturday morning.

J Dagger likes this.
  19. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Quick update...painting sold hours after going up!

Draft saved Draft deleted