Any thoughts on type of wood, how to repair finish?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lindens, May 5, 2019.

1. Lindens

Lindens New Member

2. Lindens

Lindens New Member

This is a close up of the piece. I will try to add a full shot. Berkey & Gay Furniture. Thanks!

3. Lindens

Lindens New Member

I’m so very sorry. I am new here and can’t seem to upload a photo, it keeps telling me it is too large. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

judy likes this.
  4. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

@i need help
    Sounds like you need help. You can email yourself the images and save them selecting “medium size”, that should give you a version of the photo that’s not too large.
    I use an image resizing app fwiw.

Bakersgma, judy and i need help like this.
  5. Lindens

Lindens New Member

upload_2019-5-5_20-37-3.jpeg Thank you for your help!!!! I really appreciated it!!! This is the china cabinet. It has received little if any care in the last 21 years after my mother died, and now we are moving my father out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

7. Lindens

Lindens New Member

upload_2019-5-5_20-49-40.jpeg Here is a photo of the entire piece. We also have the table and chairs and buffet (which is really sad). I am mainly interested in this one. It is on a south wall in the dining room, with the living room adjacent facing east. So not a lot of direct sun, I would think. This photo does make it look better than it is. Really the top one shows all of its ‘glory’!! Again, thanks for any help.

8. Lindens

Lindens New Member

upload_2019-5-5_20-55-13.jpeg From the inside.

i need help likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Lindens! :)
    It’s Beautiful!! :)
    Sunday evening can be somewhat of a slowish time for the Forum, so please make sure you check back if you don’t get more replies right away. ;)

10. Lindens

Lindens New Member

Thank you, hopefully someone might know some thing about it.

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's really lovely. :)

i need help likes this.
  12. Lindens

Lindens New Member

I sure will! Thanks. Seems like a wonderful site!!

Ghopper1924, Pat P and i need help like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I see you are asking for help with restoration. What do you think needs to be done?
    I'm not seeing any damage.

Howards Feed and Wax is a good product for just a general cleaning and light waxing.

@verybrad

I don't think this is 1890-1910. I think it is later. I could be wrong.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thinking about it more, the flowers remind me a little of William Morris designs, like this one...

[​IMG]

15. clutteredcloset49

I was thinking more Pennsylvania Dutch or Scandinavian.

upload_2019-5-6_7-54-56.png

Lindens and i need help like this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1930. I don't see anything that a good cleaning and oiling won't fix. The recommendation above is a good one but there are other products that also work well. If there are finish problems, Howard's Restor-a-finish is a great product. Again, other similar products are on the market.

17. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Howard's, Feed n' Wax provides excellent results as well. Love it!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

see post #13;):)

19. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I agree with Brad, 1930's or so. This link says that badge was used 1929 to 1948: http://www.furniturecityhistory.org/company/3391/berkey-and-gay-furniture-co

I think it is meant to be an Early American style, during the peak period of brown furniture made with loose interpretations of American antiques. Pilgrim carved furniture used thistle and sunflowers, and the chest on frame is a familiar type from Pilgrim period. Kind of like a combination of these (both 17th century American pieces at the Met):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michael77 and i need help like this.
  20. Lindens

Lindens New Member

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I will try some when it is moved to my home. It may take a few weeks, but I will let you know how it turns out.

Draft saved Draft deleted