Featured Anybody Watch "The Antique Nomad" On YouTube? Any Other Favorite YouTubers?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hello Folks,

Since the pandemic hit I've been watching quite a bit of YouTube and stumbled upon the "The Antique Nomad" channel and think that George has a lot of knowledge and some interesting insights. He goes to quite a few antique shows, even some in my area of the country.

As I've said before YouTube may not be the best source for information since there is a low barrier to start a channel and proclaim yourself an expert/market maker in antiques and collectables but there are a few content producers that I think are the real deal.

Your Thoughts?

Joe

Also the postcard guy I enjoyed on YouTube (Popeye's Postcards) has pulled his channel for some reason. Perhaps he didn't like all the attention he was getting? I know for certain the some postcard dealers didn't like the channel since it provided a look into buying postcards for resale and what to look for when "picking" other dealers.

Other channels I like to watch: Paper and Moose, Taco Stacks, The Auction Professor.

judy, pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I only watch fishing videos and the occasional 50+ episode Chinese historical soap operas on you tube these days :arghh:

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i sometimes watch ..instant karma on u tube....or an old music video..

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

You tube has become my main source of entertainment. Pioneer Pauly (gold panning in Vancouver) is one I subscribe to. I also like the Instant Karma ones, along with several Gambling channels (coin pushers, slots, and arcades). Not to mention coin roll hunting......plus others (AGT....BGT lots of musical talent shows,)

Ghopper1924 and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

pratfall vids can be entertaining too and plenty of choice

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that one, but I do enjoy watching some others.
    Like reviews of make up and which to buy or not buy and how best to apply.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

tiktok is a more randomly entertaining timewaster imo

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

@Joe2007 Took your suggestion and checked this guy ("The Antique Nomad") out. LOVED IT! Usually I can't stand watching Youtube antique/vintage pickers videos because I find myself screaming at the computer screen when someone gives incorrect info.

However,
    this guy knows his stuff and it is super entertaining. Funny and educational too. Highly recommend it. I'm a fan. Thanks for the tip. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    lovewrens likes this.
  9. The Antique Nomad

The Antique Nomad New Member

Well thank you, folks! I really enjoy sharing info, I've done a lot of things in the antique and vintage business over the past 30 years and I want people to learn more and enjoy these great old things more. Please join me, we have fun and learn from each other! I'm also glad I found this group as a result.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I watch Taco Stacks, Blue Bus Dave, Paper and Moose sometimes, Scrap and Pallet Man (don't ask how I got into that one but it's fun) , Tucker Upper, some Auction Professor episodes, Crazy Lamp Lady, and Shed Flips. Others sometimes too.

Dave is a dealer, scrapper, etc. The Lamp Lady knows more about glass than I ever will. I got into it finding old Bargain Hunt episodes and it snowballed from there.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

@The Antique Nomad -- George great to see you found this place! Quite a few knowledgeable folks here including collectors, such as my self, and some dealers as well.

@evelyb30
    I like watching Blue Bus Dave too. Not sure if I completely understand Crazy Lamp Lady and how she choses her finds -- Lots of stuff I wouldn't give a second glance ---- but if it works for her more power to her.

I also watch Cincinnati Picker occasionally and have met him once while he was picking. He has a few antique booths at a not so busy antique mall that I occasionally go to but I think his YouTube channel really helps drive traffic to him there.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. evelyb30

She seems to make a living at it. She has someone else doing the listing and apparently most of it sells. Possibly to viewers.

13. Popeyes Postcards

Popeyes Postcards New Member

I've rebooted my channel on youtube. There is an old video I reposted that explains a little bit why I nuked the channel. I'm not sure which dealers didn't like my content, the numerous dealers I've spoken to enjoyed the videos because those videos helped convinced countless people who were new to postcards to go to postcard shows and buy their cards. I hopefully helped breath some life into a dying hobby. Run off by mad dealers or sued by the chicken restaurant people both make me sound like a rebel. :woot:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    kentworld, Lucille.b, Joe2007 and 3 others like this.
  14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Good to see your channel is back! If there are any folks out there with any inkling to learn about postcards, I can't think of any better way than watching some of Popeye Postcards' videos and watching what gets sold on the Bay.

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Going to add another YouTube channel to my list of favorites.

I've been following the Berner Brothers for the past 6 months or so and they produce really interesting content about their recently acquired antique mall and longtime auction/antique business.

BernerBrotherAntiques - YouTube

The Heart of Ohio Antique Mall is an antique collector's paradise in Springfield, OH that I try to visit at least once or twice a year. Yes, prices may be a bit high on many items, but you will see quality and scarce stuff there you don't see anywhere else in the state.

pearlsnblume, lovewrens and komokwa like this.
  16. evelyb30

I have them on as I type. I love that it's a multi-generational outfit, and they evidently have killer grilled cheese sandwiches.

17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

For me, too!
    I don't watch any vintage/antique vids but I'm completely addicted to gardening ones. I also watch some book-related ones. My favorites, in no particular order:
    Jessie at Plot 37 - London allotment, wonderfully informative, straightforward happy style
    homegrown.garden - historic Nottingham allotment, calm and friendly style, knowledgeable
    Emma's Allotment Diaries - south London allotment, fun sarcastic humor, lots of light-hearted make-do beginner advice
    Naturally JB - South England allotment, personable guy with self-deprecating humor, lots of solid veg garden advice
    monologue - ye olde English cottage back garden, very pretty presentation, soft and calming style
    Huw Richards - large productive Welsh veggie gardens, professional yet friendly young man, top-notch advice
    What Vivi did next - London allotment, frugal retirement living, and books... very chatty
    Dainty Diaries - suburban Irish back garden (mostly flowers), crafting, and easy-ish home and garden DIY
    Miranda Mills - London-turned-Yorkshire book-tuber, lovely photographic settings, occasional outings or baking, monthly "Comfort Book Club"
    The Cottage Fairy - based in the US state of Washington, stunning scenery, simple calm living, appreciating nature, self-care, occasional crafts or recipes
    Cruising the Cut - personable British guy, former narrow-boater who still occasionally posts about canal stuff

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  18. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there are plenty of informative YouTube antiques clips out there. . . be it 17th century clocks, or maybe French Neo Gothic furniture.

19. evelyb30

That would definitely make a room. It would require 3 meter or higher ceilings, preferably higher, but definitely a talking point.

20. Virginia

Virginia New Member

The Berner Brothers are a lot of fun. I just watched this video this morning. They just bought a house with all the contents included, and oh my, the stuff this guy collected - the lamps alone are incredible.

Check it out:
    /aS0xQFYUX7k?si=ifSGD4dsnNUaTQXf

Draft saved Draft deleted