Featured Anyone ever found any?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, May 5, 2021.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Berlin Ironwork Jewellery.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen any on Antiquers. I’ve not found any but it looks pretty desirable and could be easily overlooked at the Jumble or Charity Shop.
    FCEF8E22-2093-4F14-9DB9-45FDE4821CF9.jpeg

2. Houseful

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Neither have I, it is pretty rare and highly sought after. It is very beautiful. like black(ish) lace.

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

On the bucket list of things to find...... :)

5. Houseful

Still looking for saphiret and angel skin coral, but as I only look in CShops, jumbles and carboot I expect it might take years.

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I found a small piece of Saphiret in a box of junk at an antique fair. Pennies :)
    I’m always after coral but I’m cheap so have to be lucky!

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have seen it for sale on ebay but never in real life.

I had one Saphiret pin years ago and have had several angel skin coral necklaces, I have one now that needs restringing.

Xristina, antidiem, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have actually found 2 Saphirett pieces & would not have had a clue as to what they were if not for the wonderful information I have learned from all of you jewelry fiends. :happy::happy::happy::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I thought for a split second that was a typo and you meant friends. Then I realised you were right...... :vamp:;):)

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The thing about the Berlin Ironworks pieces is that I would pick that up even if I had no idea who/what/where, just based on quality.

The saphirets were often set in lower quality costume settings, and I always wonder if I passed up any in my former (pre-saphiret obsessed) life. To the uneducated eye, a saphiret piece might just look like a generic piece of costume. Rare if ever, set in gold or sterling.

Would happily find one of those Berlin Ironworks pieces, for sure.

Xristina, Any Jewelry, KSW and 2 others like this.
  11. Kasemi

Kasemi Well-Known Member

I didn't even know what it was and had to look it up (and I am German haha)
    Dear lord some pieces go for 6 grand and more :eek:

Learn something new every day

12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

It was said with much love!!! :D:D:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I know :kiss:

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

I also just looked this up -- and was amused to find that in Germany it's often called fer de Berlin. Nothing like a foreign language to up the selling price.

Exchanging gold for iron to support the war effort was seen as a noble thing to do. As well as the sometimes beautifully made iron items from the 18th and 19th centuries, Wikipedia's German pages have this (later and ugly) pin aimed at expat Germans in America:

[​IMG]

and even an iron wedding ring marked "I gave gold for iron" in German:

[​IMG]
    Yet more stuff to look out for if they ever open the shops again.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've a nice saphiret stick pin which I paid peanuts for from a dealer who thought he knew jewellery. ;) And some angelskin coral.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I now have four Amsterdam School costume brooches with saphiret, all bargains.:bag: Sellers here don't seem to know what it is, and Amsterdam School costume jewellery is nowhere near as expensive as Amsterdam School silver jewellery.
    I also have some angelskin coral jewellery.

17. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

18. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

With Berliner Eisen/Berlin Ironwork/fer de Berlin you have to be careful, there are many copies from the 1910s - 1930s as well as modern fakes in the market. The modern forgeries are easily distinguishable from the older ones, as modern casting methods are used. The older copies are much more difficult to distinguish from the originals, in many cases it is not possible to give the precise date of a piece.
    My guess is that around 30% are genuine, the rest are later copies or modern forgeries.

Draft saved Draft deleted