Anyone ever hear of this jewelry company?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Trish, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Trish

Trish New Member

I found this small tin tray at an antique mall. On the tin it says...'T. S. Byers Jewelry Co. Wholesale & Resale. Watches, Diamonds, Jewelry. Everything in Worlds Fair Souvenirs. Largest Stock. Lowest prices. 1304 Olive St. St. Louis
    MO.
    I paid $5 for it and would never have given something like this a second glance, but the name of company is my name! So I bought it.. any info would be greatly appreciated. I am unable to find anything about it online. Attached is the back and front of the tin.

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I bought a bayonet cuz it had my name on it......I know what you mean !!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. komokwa

Oh....& welcome !

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Trish!

Thomas S. Byers, born 1860 in Tennessee, was listed as a jeweler in the 1900 Census of St. Louis. His store was called T. S. Byers Mercantile in the 1903 city directory.

Given the 1904 date of the St. Louis "World's Fair" (formally called the Louisiana Purchase Exposition) your tray should date from right about then. Can you see any caption for the picture? I tried to find a match in my copy of the souvenir book, but it was hard to tell. It might be just an amalgamation of the general "look." So many of those buildings looked alike.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Good find, Baker! Believe the building is the Palace of Electricity.

--- Susan

image.jpg

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yup! The photo in the book I have is from a different angle and does not show the open plaza type space between the building and bridge over the lagoon.

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I bought a buggy step, because it had my maiden name on it.
    I haven't done anything with it. It's been hanging the in the garage annoying my husband.
    Hmmm - maybe I am doing something with it:joyful::happy:

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hmmm.... Was it used komo?????? ;)

9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Ha!!!!! :)

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I bought an old pulley because it had the name of my neighbors back when I was a kid. I still have it. I do not know why I can not get rid of it. I had it had four yard sales and finally when someone wanted to buy it, I told them it was sold.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

11. komokwa

Not on me !!!!:woot:

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I bought a dish from an English company called Emma Bridgewater because that was my late aunt's name. I guess we're all inclined to do that.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted