Featured ANYONE EVER HEARD OF A MOUNTAIN DULCIMER? OR DULCIMER MAKER ROSCOE HORTON?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Nov 22, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store. It took me a while but I finally found out it is a Appalachian/mountain Dulcimer!? It looks like a guitar made out of gummy bears was stretched to it's limit!

I found out what it really was because written in pencil inside the body was "Made by Roscoe C Horton 7 - 79 #163 - 2 -5"

Googling Roscoe Horton showed he was a famous Dulcimer maker & his pieces seem to be rare & collectible. But I can't find an example of one being sold or having been sold! I found mention of one being sold on youtube, but it only showed one being played.
    Are Dulcimers made by Roscoe (I like that name!) rare or valuable? My 1979 #163 seems pretty early - is that good or bad with this thing?

And any idea what the - 2 - 5 after #163 could stand for?

Thanks as always for any help!

[​IMG]AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY MUSIC DULCIMER 1AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

[​IMG]AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY MUSIC DULCIMER 2AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

[​IMG]AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY MUSIC DULCIMER 3AA by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

[​IMG]AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY MUSIC DULCIMER 6AAB by miamibeachcg, on Flickr

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I know nothing, but that is a beautiful instrument!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

My favorite instrument in the world is the hammered dulcimer, but I like them all.

They have been around for many, many years, so 1979 is not very old, but isn't that one pretty!!

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love dulcimers and dulcimer music. I have one myself, but not as pretty as this one. Older and nice provenance, though.
    @all_fakes will probably know.

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Morning silver.:happy:
    Just hanging around waiting for my muscles to wake up. They sleep through every alarm clock.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. journeymagazine

I sent all_fakes a message asking for help thanks.
    Anyone have any idea what a Dulcimer made by Roscoe Horton is worth? I can't find a single one with a asking or final price.

Happy Turkey Day All (well, happy roast pork day for us here in Miami; the Cubans here dig a hole in the ground & then put coals, banana leaves & finally a whole pig seasoned with lots of mojo sauce - then it's covered with more banana leaves & the hole is filled in & left to cook/smoke for hours until the meat is falling off the bone tender - it's delicious!)

10. journeymagazine

Oops - forgot you have to add some black beans & rice and some yucca - Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Oh that sounds so good:) Happy Thanksgiving!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I see this is listed and has bids. Think potential value is now a moot point.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

In Hawaii they cook a pig in a kalua pit much the same.

14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I can't add much to the discussion; the discussion linked above on the "Everything Dulcimer" forum has more than I know about this maker.
    Appalachian dulcimers are pretty simple instruments, easier to build than a guitar - I've made two myself.
    So there are a great many makers, some making very good quality instruments, others less so. Though I haven't heard of Horton, I'm sure others have, and the ebay listing will probably reach a fair and appropriate value; it looks to be a pretty good dulcimer.
    Just for fun here's a clip of the band "Doofus" with three mountain dulcimers on stage, though only two are being played at the moment. John and Heidi Cerregione on the dulcimers, Neal and Colleen Walters on banjo and bass. Neal is quite a good dulcimer player, though known more for his autoharp and song-writing.

15. journeymagazine

lol - thanks anyway. Well I learned it's played laying across your lap!

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Or not...:):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  17. all_fakes

Usually; some folks have a special stand so they can play it standing - or sitting - and the sound projects a bit better than if it is on your lap. In the video above you see Neal Walter's stand, which allows him to switch quickly to banjo or autoharp. Neal's dulcimer, a very nice one, also has an unusual secondary bottom plate which amplifies the sound and projects it toward an audience.
    Several notable dulcimer players have used other positions; Richard Farina played his sideways, with a strap, like a guitar, in public performances, though he played it in the traditional lap position at other times. John Jacob Niles played instruments he had made himself, sometimes from modified lutes or cellos; sometimes on his lap, but often in an upright position as in AJ's posted illustration.
    (The quill shown is a traditional substitute for the pick used by some players).

Richard Farina was a talented and innovative dulcimer player, songwriter and novelist, who died way too young, at 29; Mimi Farina was a singer, songwriter, and social activist; a sister of Joan Baez, which was often quite apparent in her vocals; she also died too young, at 56.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Wonderful video Steve, thanks!

all_fakes likes this.
  19. journeymagazine

Thank you - looking at it differently now!

20. all_fakes

Yes - maybe you should just keep it and play it. The Appalachian dulcimer is one of the easiest instruments to play. For those who've never done it: it is tuned to an open chord; three-string ones might be D A d or D A A (but almost any open chord will do). Other tunings are possible, but really anything that sounds good or "right" is acceptable. Yours appears to have all three strings doubled.
    One plays melody on the highest string, ignoring the others which are used as drones, though advanced players may play notes on the other strings also. Play the notes with a finger or thumb on your left hand, or some players use a stick which slides around in a nice way, called a "noter." Use a pick, quill, or just your right fingers to strum.

The frets on the dulcimer omit the wrong notes, so you can only play right notes; unlike a guitar where you have to learn where the right and wrong notes are. It is like a piano that has only white keys; you could then play only correct notes, in that scale.
    Of course it is possible to get much more complicated than that, but at the most basic, you strum all the strings, playing various notes on the highest string, and it sounds pretty darn good. Pick it up, make music. It is about as easy as it could be.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted