Featured Anyone ever seen wire mesh used as a pottery frog?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Oct 3, 2018.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I found a Roseville vase which held a dried flower arrangement. I had some trouble getting the flowers out - I started to think they might be glued in place. I found some sort of thick wire mesh or screen jammed inside holding onto the stems.

Was this one of those "helpful hints" from yesteryear? Luckily I have a pair of very long-nosed pliers which should help me remove the mesh. I can imagine it's going to feel like a game of Operation (the wacky doctor's game!).

IMG_1917.JPG

judy, kyratango, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like somebody's "make do" solution.

pearlsnblume, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. UncleChuckTX

That's my guess, too. It looks to me like the kind of mesh they use for plaster and stucco and waterproofing cement. Whatever works, I guess.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Very often hardware cloth. Dunno as I seen expanded.

judy, Christmasjoy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Does it move around in the bottom or is it glued in?
    Patd

judy, Christmasjoy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  6. UncleChuckTX

It's just wedged in there. They bent it just enough to fit inside, but left enough tension in the wire that it held itself in place.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen chicken wire used many a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted